We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need itinerary advice

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
383 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Need itinerary advice

10 days in Japan:

Day 1-arrive late in to Osaka, staying at Nikko Airport hotel for that night.

Day 2- Before going to Kyoto, will take train to Himegi castle for the day... is that ok? Can I store luggage at train station?

Day 2,3,4, - Will be staying in Kyoto for 3 nights. Already confirmed.

Day 5 & 6 - I have NO reservations for these 2 days - where shall I go??? It's the in-between time from Kyoto to Tokyo. I'll be with my mom and we like spas, shopping and beautiful foilage. We'll be there in November 10th. Should we spend 2 nights in HOKANE?

Day 7, 8, 9 - Tokyo - Already booked the Le Meridian. Should we just add the 2 days above to Tokyo or add to Kyoto or should we stop in Hokane or Kobe for a good steak OR should we go to Nara to spend the night? I'd love to see beautiful foilage.

Thanks!!!!

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need itinerary advice

If it was me, I would go to Kyoto directly from Tokyo and check in to your hotel. Take your time and see Kyoto. Then take a day trip from Kyoto to Himeji another day. Otherwise, you're dragging your luggage all the way PAST Kyoto to Himeji where there are very few lockers in the train station, and they aren't very large. Both Kobe and Nara are easy short trips from Kyoto, if you want to extend your time in Kyoto. You can easily spend many days seeing Kyoto and still not see everything!!

Then you might consider leaving Kyoto and traveling to Hiroshima. Spend a few hours at the Peace Museum and Peace Park, then go out to Miyajima Island for the night. Many of the ryokan there have onsen. My favorite place there is Iwaso Inn. You can find it on the http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm. While doing this, send your main luggage via forwarding service (takkyubin, and can be done through your hotel) to your Tokyo hotel. Take a small overnight bag to Hiroshima, store it in a locker while you see the Peace Park, then pick it up and take a half hour train ride to the ferry for a 10 minute ferry ride to Miyajima.

Then go all the way to Tokyo (a long ride!!) and check in to your hotel there. You can easily take a day trip from Tokyo to Hakone. Or you can stop there for a night on your way from Hiroshima.

That's just another way to look at it, for what it's worth!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
383 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need itinerary advice

Thanks JapanTeacher...

I will not be going to Kyoto from Tokyo. I land at Osaka airport at 8:30 and once I get out of customs, it'll be around 10pm. Because I have a traditional ryokan booked for 3 nights in Kyoto, we're staying overnight at the airport in Osaka first night.

So, do you suggest that instead of leaving in the AM from Osaka straight to the castle with our bags, we should go to Kyoto to leave our bags first? I guess we can do that if it'll be easier and just go to the castle another day. I just figured since we'll be in Osaka that morning, we'd be closer to the castle....

As for the rest of the itinerary. I guess I could try to either extend my ryokan stay in Kyoto should she have availabilty or move over to Mt. Fuji area for a bath experience as I make my way down to Tokyo. Or I can show up for Tokyo 1 day sooner.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
272 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need itinerary advice

I definitely agree with jtt's advice. I tried to store my one small rolling suitcase at the ferry station to Miyajima with no luck. Even the biggest lockers were too small. The very nice man in the office let me keep my suitcase there for the day, thankfully. I wouldn't risk it with Himeji, and that is a very easy day trip from Kyoto.

For your itinerary, I would stay longer in Kyoto and also visit Nara as a day trip (or even just spend the extra time in Kyoto - so much to see!) Based on your interests, a trip to Hakone on your way to Tokyo would be good. I think one night would be sufficient if you leave Kyoto early and then leave for Tokyo later the following day. It would be a nice break between the two cities.

Have fun!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need itinerary advice

I'd suggest sending your larger baggage to your ryokan via luggage transfer service when you get out the customs into the arrival lobby at KIX. Hotel Nikko can handle that service after you have checked in, though. Like JapanTravelTeacher says, you'd be best off traveling light from one place to another in the peak traveling season. Choosing the greatest castle in Japan as your first priority is not at all bad, I think, if you travel light.

As for the place for Day 5 and Day 6, maybe people have different opinions but I'm the one to side with JTT. Yes, just for two days the trip to Tokyo can wait. During either of the two days, you may perhaps like to visit Nara as a side-trip. (Five-storied Pagoda, Kofukuji Temple, Ukimi-do, Kasuga / Wakimiya Shrine, Wakakusa Hill, Nigatsudo / Sangatsudo Hall, The Great Bell, Buddha Hall, Shosoin Treasure Hall, Nara National Museum, and, the lovely deer roaming in the park.... they all await you.)

While in Kyoto, you should definitely think about doing 1)Kiyomizu / Higashiyama, 2)Golden Pavilion / Ryoanji Temple, 3)Arashiyama / Sagano, and 4)Ginkakuji Temple / Okazaki area. Maybe these are done in two days and a half. But the first thing for you to do is to visit Kyoto Tourist Information Center located on the 9th floor in Isetan Department Store annexed to JR Kyoto Station Complex so you can get detailed route maps for free. Incidentally, the best autumn colors are found in 3). Yes, they are outrageously beautiful. Nanzenji in 4) is the second best. Stunningly beautiful. Then comes Kiyomizu in 1). Amazingly beautiful.

For your Day 5 or 6, you'd like to extend your trip to the outskirts of Central Kyoto. Yes, Ohara is also well-known for its incredibly beautiful autumn foliage by locals and tourists as well.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need itinerary advice

Bordeaux&castles,

>>> Should we just add the 2 days above to Tokyo or add to Kyoto or should we stop in Hokane or Kobe for a good steak OR should we go to Nara to spend the night? I'd love to see beautiful foilage. <<<

When will you go to Japan? I under stand you will arrive at Osaka, but will you leave from Osaka or Tokyo???

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
383 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need itinerary advice

For days 5 & 6 (the 2 days I have without reservation yet) I was thinking 2 nights in traditional ryokan in Hokane. It'll run me about $700 USD...very pricey! I can stay at Fujiya hotel for $128 a night but have heard it's kinda old and worn out?! I've researched some nice ryokans and they'll be about $350 per person. Is it worth it?

Fukuzumiro - $80,400 yen total for 2 person/2 nights (about $680USD)

Yugiriso - $76,200 yen total (about $645USD)

Kinokuniya Bekkan – 80,601 yen total (about $683 USD.)

Thanks for any help! ;-0)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
383 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need itinerary advice

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question....I arrive in Osaka airport and leave out of Tokyo.

8. Re: Need itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, August 25, 2009