We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

Hi Guys,

Looking for some info on whether or not to book a tour guide when visiting the Memorial Park. I've read you can hire head phones and use the audio tour, but is this sufficient enough to get all the info you need? And if we should be hiring a tour guide for the day, are there any facitlites to do that there, or do we have to research one and pre book in advance like our Kyoto Tour guide.

Conor

Cycle Kyoto
Bike Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kyoto FooDrink Tour -Japan Wonder Travel
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Kyoto Cycling Tour Project
City Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

When I went there last month, Museum Guided tour was available in English at the specific hour(2PM? not sure). Please ask your hotel or Hiroshima tourist information center for soild information.

Many foreigners were seeing the display with audio guide.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

It is quite a few years since I visited the museum and park, I think I probably used the audio guide my second visit to the museum. That and the written displays are generally sufficient. Though with a person, I guess you'll be able to talk to them and get a more personal perspective on the history.

Make sure that you visit Okonomi-mura while you're in Hiroshima too; a building with floors full of wee eateries that serve 'japanese-style pancakes'. yum!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

You don't need a tour guide when visiting the Peace Park and Museum. There are signs that give an explanation of what you're seeing.

There were tour guides inside the museum. I don't think there was a charge, but I'm not absolutely sure.

I second the Okonomimura recommendation.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

There are plenty of English signs on the displays in the museum, and there is some English audio, so you won't need to have a guide. Midway through the museum, there is a shop where you can buy a book that will give you more details about what you've seen. It would be good to prepare by reading a guidebook or internet article about Hiroshima.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

No tour guide needed. Explore the park (at your leisure) then just head to the Museum. Entrance fee is 50 yen per Adult (bargain of the century) and rent an Audio guide. The exhibits/displays are numbered to match the audio guide so you will not be without any guidelines. I went during the memorial anniversary two weeks ago and it was packed (as expected) but was still manageable, so I believe you won't have any problems whatsoever.

I third the Okonomimura recommendation. I actually walked (about 15 mins) from the Museum to Okonomimura for food.

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

Great thank you all so much! Audio guide and japanense pancakes - can't wait! :)

7. Re: Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 21, 2015