We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I get the best accomodation?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Did I get the best accomodation?

I bought a plane ticket to Kansai with the intention of spending 13 nights in Kyoto in March 2014. I'm exited, but I also worry about what I got myself into!

I'm somewhere on the autism spectrum (asperger's) which means I can do everything a normal person can, but I'm very sensitive to stress, in particular social stress. I deal with this by traveling alone, planning meticulously in advance, and booking a modest, but private hotel room to recover in after a busy day.

Also, I booked all the nights in the same hotel in Kyoto, with plans of taking trips to other cities when I feel comfortable doing so.

The hotel I booked is the ironically named Kyoto Rich hotel. It was very cheap (¥46,900/ 343€ for 13 nights) and it offers a private room with bathroom. I expect it to be very outdated, but I don't mind as long as I get my peace and quiet and some degree of hygiene.

Did I do well or is this a bad idea? I can still change the booking and there is plenty of time, and I could possibly afford to pay a little bit more. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

Well, I imagine that to be an outdated budget hotel. Clean- probably not very (based on Japanese reviews).

"Ritch" is probably an ironic pun. In Japanese, "Ritchi" means location. Location-wise, it is not bad.

I wonder how much is the least expensive business hotel chain APA or Super Hotel? They have small rooms, but apart from that, they are quite adequate. Toyoko Inn can be cheaper with a membership.

Edited: 4:14 am, November 24, 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

I checked APA, but their prices start from $96. Both super hotels seem fully booked. I have also looked into a place called Urban Hotel Kyoto.

Thank you for your help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

Another good budget hotel, on the shinkansen side of Kyoto station, is the Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kyoto-Hachijoguchi. Spotlessly clean, with its own coin laundry. You can normally get a double room (single use) at a good price.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

Hmm, I'm looking at the Urban Hotel now, which seems a lot cleaner but very far out, and at the El Inn, which will really stretch my finances. Other suggestions turned out much more expensive or not available...:p

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

Well, the Urban Hotel is in Fukukusa (a bit away from the station even), which can't be recommended for visiting places in central Kyoto. El Inn is okay for the location as it should be near Kyoto Station.

It can be a bit challenging to find a nice clean hotel under 5,000-6,000 yen per night anywhere in Japan, and you are planning to stay in Kyoto. First Cabin, a capsule hotel in Shijo-Karasuma, cost about 4,000 yen, I think.

Edited: 3:37 pm, November 24, 2013
6. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, October 19, 2015
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

I have decided for now, to keep the reservation for the Rich Hotel. But I have also taken very careful note of your suggestions. I'm poor, and I have survived in some amazingly awful hotels. I have slept in the West Side Inn in NY and the (in)famous Cartel hotel, and I'm still alive. The only things I really don't put up with are bugs (Oh, those cockroaches dancing on the ceiling in that place in Paris!) and stench of a digestive system nature. As for noise, I sleep with earplugs in every hotel out of habit.

It can't possibly be that bad. But if it is, I will immediately switch to one of the hotels you recommended! Thank you for your help.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

* correction- It was actually the Carlton Arms Hotel in NY that I stayed in. Loved that one, so artsy. You'll need your sense of humor though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

I have stayed at the Comfort Hotel and the Toyoko Inn Gojo-Omiya in Kyoto; both are excellent values but cost more than your booking at the Kyoto Rich Hotel. Based on the TripAdvisor reviews for the Rich Hotel and your comments about hotels where you have been ok in the past, it sounds like you've made a reasonable choice. For sightseeing and day trips, it might be more convenient to be closer to the main Kyoto train station, but you'd have to pay more for your room.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I get the best accomodation?

I hope it is not inappropriate to bring up this old topic, but I just returned from Kyoto, and I had an amazing time. The Rich hotel proved perfectly acceptable, and quite clean. My only complaint is that the mattress I slept on was near the end of its usable life, but then again I was too tired to notice. I enjoyed the hotel, and Kyoto is one of the world's most amazing cities. Thank you all for your replies.

Edited: 2:05 pm, March 26, 2014