We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shigeharu knife shop

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Shigeharu knife shop

Does anyone know the hours of this shop, especially on weekends? We'll be in Kyoto but unfortunately only for a weekend (arrive late Friday and leave Monday). I would like to purchase a yanagiba to take home.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

hate to see no one respond to you even though I needed to make a phone call to Kyoto: Shigeharu store opens until 6 pm on Saturday, closes on Sunday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

Sanfran1946, thank you for your much appreciated efforts. I will be reminded of your kindness when I visit the Shigeharu store. Arigato gozaimasu!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

Sanfran1946, just wanted to let you know I was able to purchase my Yanagiba at Shigeharu. It is a beautiful knife and I love it. Shigeharu-san engraved both my father's and mother's family names on the blade. I'm still in Japan for another week but am excited about using it when I return home. Thanks again for your help...arigato gozaimasu!

Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

hi cocotani, would you be able to share the cost of a knife from shigeharu? i will be looking at making a purchase from the shop as well in late january.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

Hocm, I think it cost about US$170, a steal in my estimation. It is a carbon steel knife so it is high maintenance and prone to rusting if not cared for properly (see following link for details). But it felt so much better balanced than the stainless steel knife I couldn't resist getting it. So you'll have to decide what is more important to you . It is truly a work of art.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6553…

Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

Hey cocotani. Just reporting back with my own experience as well. Bought 2 Santoku knives from shigeharu San's shop as well. Was wondering if he sharpened and opened up the edge of the knife for u on the spot as well? With both mine, he only engraved our names and that was it. I popped over to aritsugu as well while I was in Kyoto and noticed that they were priced cheaper than compared to shigeharu. I was always under the impression that shigeharu knives were cheaper in price.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
1 post
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

The pricing will vary depending on the exact material used for the knife. "Santoku" defines only the shape and not the content of the steel. Higher grade carbons generally require more skill to work properly and would cost more.

If you are referring to the knives Kyoto Aritsugu stocks in the "middle" of the shop piled up, those are typically yellow paper and white-3 knives -- to keep it simple, relatively low grade carbon steel. Shigeharu - it is a little trickier but most of his stuff is white-2 or better I believe (white-1 generally being the most prized--varies from maker to maker). Based on the information you provided, it is very hard to tell what you bought in either store. I found Kyoto Aritsugu to be generally pricier for the product than both Shigeharu and Kikiuchimonji (which is in the nearby Sanjo arcade).

Sharpening and engraving service are typically complimentary and not something you should take under consideration for the price. Did you ask Shigeharu to have the knife sharpened? Excluding shops like Kyoto Aritsugu which are very touristy, most shops by default would let you take it home to sharpen.

8. Re: Shigeharu knife shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 10, 2015