We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pls comment on my itinerary

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
738 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
pls comment on my itinerary

Hi everyone,

I've finally made our itinerary for kyoto and i'm really hoping some of you can comment on it on how to make it better. there seems so much to see in kyoto and i feel my days are not enough, but i'm hoping we should be able to cover the important sights.

day 1 (dec 25)

arrive at kix at 725pm, head to kyoto, check in at citadines kurasama gojo

we don't want to waste any time, so id like to know if there is anything we can do at night? i understand we may get to kyoto by around 830-9pm. is pontocho doable at this time?

day 2 (dec 26)

southern higashiyama in the morning - kiyomizudera, chion-in, yasaka-jinja

northern higashiyama in afternoon - ginkakuji, philosopher's path

gion district in evening

day 3 (dec 27)

northwest kyoto in morning - kinkukiji, ryoan-ji, nijo castle

arashiyama in afternoon

nishiki market by late afternoon (will we be able to make it before closing time if we are coming from arashiyama?)

teramachi and shinkyogoku arcades for rest of evening (got this tip from yobeekol :))

day 4 (dec 28)

fushimi inari in morning before heading to nara

from nara, we will go spend the evening at dotomburi in osaka, maybe leave nara around 5 or 6pm

dec 5 (dec 29)

imperial palace (not sure what time this opens, im just looking for an activity that we can do before we head for fuji five lakes)

we intend to take a train to fuji five lakes around 10am

pls tell me if i have missed anything, or if there is anything that i should move/exchange for another? particularly for days 4 and 5, i need to know which can be a place to visit that opens early in the morning which we can go before we proceed to our trips to nara on day 4 and fuji five lakes on day 5

thank you so much everyone, really hoping someone can help me.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,243 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pls comment on my itinerary

Pontocho might have a few things to look at. However, you probably won't even get to your hotel until 9:30 to 10pm so you shouldn't plan on doing much.

Day 2 looks ok. Philosopher's Path at that time of the year is optional, and it might be quite cold to walk for an extended period of time in an open space. Chionin is undergoing major restoration work at this point so the main hall is covered by scaffolding. Consider heading to Nijo Castle and Nishiki Market after Higashiyama.

Day 3 Looks too busy. Don't back track to Nijo Castle after Kinkakuji and Ryonaji. Head to Arashiyama after the two temples. That is really all you can do for the day without rushing.

Day 4 Looks fine.

Day 5 There isn't much you can do if you want to leave Kyoto by 10am. Nijo Castle opens at 8:45am so you could spend time there if you find you were too rushed to go on day 2. The same goes for Fushimi Inari on day 4. Imperial Palace isn't very interesting. You can consider other shrines.

Edited: 10:58 pm, October 29, 2013
2. Re: pls comment on my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 31, 2014