We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
1 post
Save Topic
Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

Hey,

I can't decide If i should stay in near Kyoto station for easy access or in Gion for a stronger cultural experience. What do you think?

I have booked Capsule Ryokan which from reviews looks awesome and easy to get to however I am find more traditional Ryokans in Gion which maybe a cool cultural experience.

Have suggestions for more traditional Ryokans to stay at or advise for which accommodation would have more shops/temples/food options in walking distance to stay at?

Please share all the cool thing you have done in Kyoto.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,025 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

I would rather stay at a city hotel in Kyoto around Kyoto Station or Kawaramachi and keep the ryokan experience for a good one in an onsen town (perhaps Kinosaki), because of cost/performance considerations.

I won't stay at "budget capsule ryokans", whatever that means. "Capsule hotel"s need a certain structure to keep out noise and have ventilation as well as a clean spa (although not mineral onsen) facility. Also, it should be gender segregated; otherwise there would be a bunch of axxholes enjoying what they should do in private when you need sleep. 9 hours or First Cabin in Kyoto might fit into the criteria.

Edited: 3:23 am, October 19, 2013
Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

Great selection! I did not know the capsule in Kyoto. I would try to stay one night if I needed. Capsule is another kind of hostels, wide spreaded in Japan. Capsule is the good structure to keep privacy, since most of the hostels' dormitories only have curtains to separate next bed. However, the rate, 3500 yen, is a little bit higher: Capsule rates in Tokyo are 2800 yen to 3000 yen. Capsules normally have a public bath in Tokyo area, but most of hostels do not have a bath.

If you have a little bit budget to stay, I can recommend you Machiya: Machiya Ryokan is old hostel system, many available in Kyoto, and many overseas tourists stay today for experience.

http://www.kyoto-machiya-inn.com/

hotelclub.com/Kohakuan-Machiya-Ryokan-Townho…

http://www.nagomi-kyoto.com/eng/

All of these should be reasonable ryokans with no meals, or breakfast only. Sometime luxury ryokans with an expensive kaiseki dinner are called machiya also.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

I'm totally with Yobekool on this one - 'Capsule-Ryokan' ?? What the...? Ryokan and capsule do not go together in the same sentence.

Kyoto Station is alright if you are only staying one night in Kyoto and are moving on quickly. Most sightseeing places are very far from the station & Kyoto's subway system doesn't get you to them. But if you are staying here at least you will be near the station shopping area & Isetan Dept store & Granvia Hotel which all have plenty of restaurants to choose from.

Gion is near a noisy traffic intersection, it also has an entertainment area (drunks late at night). Personally I would stay somewhere else. Gion does have a few preserved streets of traditional wooden buildings & has some excellent restaurants if you going to splurge on a big night out.

The Higashiyama area (away from Gion) is a better place to stay. Temples & tourist sites are spread out all over Kyoto.

Traditional ryokan usually include meals so you won't be looking for restaurants unless you choose a budget type inn where meals are optional.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

I agree with Yobeekool too. For Kyoto, I would highly recommend staying near the JR station. From the JR station you can use the bus or subway to nearly all the tourist attractions in Kyoto, use the JR train to Osaka, Nara, etc. Much more convenient and no shortage of food and shopping options as well.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,025 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

After reading SanFran-san's recommendation, I came to a different idea that perhaps I might be stressing too much on the negative sides about budget capsule ryokan; if it's popular, there should be a reason. Although I would rather spend money at a more "traditional" onsen ryokan somewhere else. Kyoto is a rather busy city to enjoy the ryokan experience in the central parts, I think.

Some ryokans that are among the top-ranked at Rakuten and Jalan sites:

http://travel.rakuten.com/hotelinfo/58/8258/

japantraveleronline.com/af/…

http://www.yunoyadosyouei.jp/ryokan-kyoto/

Edited: 8:15 am, October 19, 2013
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

I always stay near Kyoto Station. Personally I think it is perfect because you are near the train and buses and its easy to get anywhere from there. And if you need help finding stuff there is Tourist Information right there.

But if you can still book a new place to stay I highly recommend Ryokan Shimuzu. It's great value for money and the staff is super friendly. It's a budget Ryokan so it doesn't have all the thrills of a normal Ryokan experience but I still loved it. In fact the only reason I am not staying there this time is because it was already fully booked. But if you can get a room there it's great.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298564-d608088…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

We stayed 9 nights at the Kyoto Granvia and found using public transport was easy and right on our door step with lots of shops and restaurants after a very long tiring day out touring. Trains, buses, subways - all right there and we hit all points of the compass from our base

I would have thought from my very limited experience that a capsule hotel and ryokan are two very different things and cannot imagine the combining of the two

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

hi i am staying at Eco and Tec Kyoto Hotel which is near Higashiyama , as i google it seem to be near gion. for your consideration .

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

Yuhara Ryokan is not far from Kyoto station, but it is on a side street with a canal and older more traditional buildings around it. Including restaurants and a bath place.

It doesn't serve meals, but good places to eat are close walking distance. Sleeping is futons on tatami. The same family has been running it for at least about 50 years. We've stayed there twice decades apart and I want to return some day too.

10. Re: Stay near Kyoto station or in Gion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 23, 2014