We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Kyoto

11 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Kyoto

hi ill doing a day trip to kyoto from osaka..

im staying at Daiwa Roynet at kitahama

im planning to go to see some spots in kyoto..

places are inari shrine kiyozumi temple gion

in which order do i go first?

how bout transportation to go there?

any other places in kyoto i could squeeze in before the last train?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

From your hotel in Kitahama, Osaka, walk to Keihan Railway's Yodoyabashi Station (7min). Take the Ltd Exp train (usually in red and yellowish-brown instead of the green one; no ltd exp surcharge) to Gion Shijo (50min, 400 yen). Walk the Shirakawa River area of Gion and Hanami-Koji street. Walk uphill to Kodaiji area and Ishibe Koji. Walk along the hill through Sanneizaka and Ninenzaka to Kiyomizu Temple. Walk downhill to Kamo River, and from Kiyomizu Gojo station, take the train to Fushimi Inari Station. 7 min, 200 yen.

Print this and take it with you: jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-503.pdf

==

You may add, according to your interests:

1) Heian Jingu Shrine (garden is nice), Nanzenji, and Eikando: the same Keihan train but get off at Sanjo station. After visits, walk down south to Gion, then to Kiyomizu.

2) Kenninji, an important Zen temple, at the southern end of Hanami-koji in Gion (Gion Shijo station).

3) Sanju Sangendo (about 15min south-east of Kiyomizu Temple, near Keihan's Shichijo station).

4) Tofukuji, one of the most remarkable in Autumn, north of Fushimi Inari station (Tofukuji station and walk)

5) Nishiki Market and Shinkyogoku, Teramachi arcades are within walking distance from Gion Shijo Station.

If you can start early in the morning, you might do: Keihan Yodoyabashi => Keihan Sanjo => Heian Shrine (garden) => Nanzenji => (Eikando) => Shirakawa River walk => Hanami Koji => (Kenninji) => (Ishibe Koji) => Sanneizaka / Ninenzaka => Kiyomizu Temple => (Sanju Sangendo) => (Tofukuji) => Fushimi Inari (evening) => Yodoyabashi (change to faster Ltd Exp at Tanbabashi).

It is also technically possible to visit Nijo Castle or Kinkakuji, if you prefer them over sites like Heian Shrine, Nanzenji, Eikando, Kenninji, Tofukuji.

Edited: 4:00 am, October 06, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

If you can really start early, you might see Kiyomizu first, as it opens usually around 06:00 or 06:30. It's nicer when you have very few people around.

4travel.jp/traveler/uenana/album/10789880/

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

Oh wow thanks... so I can just my plan my trip to your planning..

11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

What time does the last train end?

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

What time does the last train end?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

The last train departs from Keihan Gion Shijo station at 1131PM and arrives at Keihan Kitahama station at 0027AM.

11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

Thanks for the train info..

So I now have to plan my trip to start from kiyozumi first as yobeekool mentioned..maybe reach there by 7am Then walk around and try to end at Gion by 7pm.. Have dinner and make my way back..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

We wiil be in Kyoto Saturday-Wednesday, looking forward to Jidai Matsuri on Tue/22Oct by the street.

Is Kiyomizu very crowded from 4-5pm onwards Saturday? On Sunday we plan to visit Arashiyama for its beauty and tranquility. Understand weekends there is very crowded. May even be worst as there will be Saigu Gyoretsu traditional procession taking place there at noon. Is 9am good enough to avoid the crowd? Do you think we should just postpone Arashiyama to Monday, and go to Nara instead?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,457 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Kyoto

Kiyomizu-dera is usually crowded, let alone on a Saturday afternoon 4-5pm

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts