We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for temples?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for temples?

We are visiting saihoji and other kyoto temples....what is considered appropriate attire?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for temples?

There isn't one. At many places, you might need to remove your shoes and that's it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for temples?

Not sure you can count on my opinion--I'm an oldish man and my friend complains because I won't wear shorts in the Caribbean, except at the hotel or beach.

As Sammyfloyd says, there is not a dress code for temples. But for Japan in general, I prefer neat casual--collared shirts (can be polo or golf shirts) and slacks for men. For women, modest top and slacks or longish skirt. Nice socks in case you have to take your shoes off in some temples and restaurants.

Here is a discussion: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k6693…

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for temples?

Unless you are going to the temple for somesort of event (such as a funeral) then there is no general dress code as long as you are not naked. Just spent the scorching summer in places, I can say most folks were not wearing collared shirts at the temple.

Its more how you act, be respective, and quiet and you'll be just fine.

Edited: 10:59 am, September 14, 2013
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for temples?

I always answer, "No, there is no dress code. Wear whatever you like." to this kind of questions.

However, Saihoji is a bit different as you'll be asked to participate in some religious activities like kito (chanting) and shakyo (copying of sutra.) So I recommend not to dress too casually--I'd avoid a low cut top, no sleeve top, short skirts or shorts, etc.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for temples?

Thanks. Happily ensconced in Ichijoin & reasonable shorts & t-shirt are quite acceptable.

6. Re: Dress code for temples?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 24, 2015