We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on type of hotel?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on type of hotel?

Hello! I'm planning to go to Kyoto in spring. I'm now considering my options for accommodation.

I suffer from mild autism, and this means I can do pretty much anything, but I need time to myself to recover after a busy day. And also, I like traveling alone, but I need to avoid stress.

In order to minimize stress I take my time for it, and I'm thinking about booking 10-12 nights in Kyoto, and make excursions to other places (like Nara) from there.

As for the accommodation, I have limited funds, but I don't need much. I just need a room (which may be tiny) to myself, and I don't mind sharing sanitary facilities as long as I have privacy while using them! A simple shower and toilet to myself would be ideal though. I have slept in Easyhotels all over Europe and I love them, so I wonder if there is something similar in Kyoto.

So I could go for a fancy capsule hotel like First Cabin Kyoto Karasuma, or maybe I could go the more traditional route, and book a traditional guesthouse like Yumiya Komachi.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you very much in advance!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on type of hotel?

It's best that you post a budget to get meaningful recommendations. You haven't quite narrowed your criteria enough.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on type of hotel?

If I'm able to find something for under $50 a night I would be really pleased...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on type of hotel?

The Comfort Hotel on Gojo Dori Avenue (www.choicehotels.com) and the Toyoko Inn Gojo Omiya (Toyoko Inn website) are close to your price range. Both are business hotels where you will get a small basic room that includes shower and toilet. Both provide a free breakfast buffet. If you value breakfast at $5, then that raises your price target to $55. Both are in the same area, which is safe but not particularly interesting to tourists. They're about a 20-minute walk from the main train station. Both hotels want the guests out of their rooms from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. so they can clean the rooms efficiently.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
67 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on type of hotel?

Thank you for your help, I will look into this! Though I must say, the Yumiya Komachi has a single room and it looks quite tempting...

5. Re: Advice on type of hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 05, 2014