We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

Looking at purchasing the Haruka Express/ICOCA round trip pass for my KIX-Kyoto transfers. I see the round trip pass is valid for 14 days, but my question is when exactly the 14 days are determined. Specifically, I will be arriving at KIX on the morining of Friday 13 September, and retrning to KIX the evening of Friday 27 September. Would the pass still be valid? Or does Friday 12 count as "Day 1", thus expiring on the 26th? Slightly confused and could use advice!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

I am not 100% sure, but I think the Haruka ticket back to KIX must be used on 26th or earlier.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

The 13th will be Day 1, so that makes the 27th Day 15--the return ticket won't be valid on 27th.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,368 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

Using your example, if you plan to leave on the 27th which would make the return ticket invalid, then stick to the ICOCA & Haruka one-way, and buy a 1-day JR West Pass (2,000 Yen) separately for use on the return. You will still end up saving money vs the normal Haruka fare.

Note that the above applies only if Haruka Express is the preferred transport when you leave for KIX. For example, from Kyoto, Haruka is always the preferred transport. If you are departing from Osaka station, you can choose JR Kansai Airport Service (1,160 Yen, just 15 minutes slower vs a transfer to Haruka at Tennoji). If you are departing from Namba station, both Nankai Airport Line (890 Yen) and Nankai Rap:t (1,390 Yen) are the preferred trains to use. In these cases, they would cost less than the 1-day JR West Pass.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

Thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the case, but was hoping to nab what is a good value deal! In terms of Sammyfloyd's suggestion, I will be buying the one way Haruka/ICOCA pass, then the JR West Kansai Pass for the return leg, as I will be arriving and leaving from the Kyoto station area. My last trip I departed from Osaka, and I can highly recommend the Nankai Rap:t as an airport transfer

5. Re: Haruka express/ ICOCA round trip pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 01, 2014