We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

Chicago
Level Contributor
471 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

I have a reservation for dinner at Kichisen and it has come highly recommended as an outstanding and traditional kaiseki experience. That being said, I have limited data and just wanted to hear if anyone disagrees, thinks Kichisen doesn't quite measure up, or believes there's some other place that's considerably better and more traditional. This is for dinner only by the way. Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

I have not heard of this restaurant, but there are hundreds of good kaiseki restaurants in Kyoto, some less unknown by ignorant people like me, but by checking Tabelog foodies review site, I see that Kichisen near Shimogamo Shrine gets 4.13 mark , and the food presentation and restaurant's atmosphere looks wonderful, so I think it should be very nice.

translate.google.com/translate…

The proprietor is an interesting person.

http://www.kichisen-kyoto.com/en/

Shimogamo Shrine is one of my favorite places in Kyoto. You might visit it before you go the restaurant.

Edited: 11:53 am, August 09, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

If you are hesitating on whether to go and dine there, I'll go and eat dinner for you and tell you how good it was afterwards.

Free service, ha ha...

Enjoy your meal, it should be wonderful!

Edited: 12:00 pm, August 09, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
471 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

Thanks Yobeekool for the response and the links . . . and I appreciate the dinner invitation. Unfortunately, it looks quite good to me too, so I'll keep the reservation. :) I'll have to look more on Tablelog - I had heard of it but haven't spent much time navigating the site. Thanks!

And we'll definitely visit Shimogamo Shrine.

Chicago
Level Contributor
471 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

I'll post a review and photos separately in the restaurant category under Kichisen, but the short of it was that this was a wonderful meal and precisely the traditional kaiseki experience we desired.

5. Re: Kichisen for kaiseke - did I make a good choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 25, 2014