We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

hi,

We'll be planning for a trip to Kyoto / Osaka... will be travelling with a child who is not mobile on a stroller.. Any advice what should we avoid? or whats the possible way to go around?

I understand taxi rides in Kyoto is not really expensive.. just wondering if riding from shijo station to Arashiyama.. how much would it cost in general?

Planning to visit Arashiyama, Kiyomize, Gion, Nishiki market, also out of kyoto to Nara and Osaka.

Thanks..

Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

HI Shot.. Thank you once again for the valuable information.

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
671 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

we generally found osaka/kyoto were fine with strollers. we use a small one and use it on escalators also. we had to carry the stroller a few times down some stairs but it was rare that we could not find an escalator.

that said, do not, I repeat, do NOT get on any trains between Kyoto and Osaka during rush hour. if you have to take any train and have a japan rail pase, take the shinkansen between Kyoto and ShinOsaka and avoid any commutor trains. the rapid trains between Kyoto and Osaka had the most people of any trains I have ever been in in Japan....even worse than any in Tokyo.

Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

Hi Shot.. Thanks for sharing..

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

I too is planning a trip to Osaka/Kyoto. I too has a disabled daughter in wheelchair ( partially can walk ) that I will bring along. So far, the kyoto web site is very useful for us. I just wonder any web site for Osaka too? Also, I will taking a lot of bus trips around Kyoto for site seeing. Am I allow to take bus with wheel chair( my daughter can climb up bus without wheel chair but with our assistance). How difficult is it to take train with wheel chair. Any advices is much appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

The link I posted earlier has some Osaka info. One thing to keep in mind - the buses in Kyoto can be terribly crowded. So even if they are accessible, I believe combination of train and taxis are likely your best bet.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

Hi Rynane

May be you can share your experience on the blog. I too has a disabled daughter and going in End November. I hope to have an insight travelling with disabled children and have better planning.

Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

HI, sure, i'll share with you when we return.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
202 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

Hi Gaijin Mike

In your opinions, what is the recommended transportation mode ( taxi is out of question as we are visiting on a tight budget) to visit Kyoto tourist places since you mentioned that Bus can be pretty crowded between 9am-5pm and not so suitable for wheel chair. My main concerns is taking train, we might have to walk longer distance to these places.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

If you won't have internet access while you are out, I would print out details for every station I go to - www.japan-accessible.com/city/kyoto.htm .

Personally, if it were me, I would splurge on taxis and cut back on other things. But if you can't , the bus should work. Take a look at visitkansai.com/sightseeing/… .

20. Re: Travelling in Kyoto / Osaka with a baby strolle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 07, 2014