We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

Is it possible to combine Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day by public transport?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

Kinkakuji only takes ah hour or so, so it's totally doable. I'd go to Kinkakuji first and spend the rest of the day in Arashiyama.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

Thanks for your response. Do you know the quickest way to get from Kinkaku-ji across to Arashiyama?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

I think the best way is to take a taxi to Kitano-hakubaicho Station , and then the Keifuku Railways (Randen) to Arashiyama (there's a little foot bath at the station).

By the way, we were able to easily fit Nijo Castle into that day (Nijo-jo, then Kinkakuji, then Arashiyama), but it depends on how much you plan to see in Arashiyama.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

The quickest and easiest way is to just take a taxi. The fare is around 2,200yen. You can also take the bus from Kinkakiji-Michi (not Kinkakuji-Mae) to Kitano Hakubaicho then take the Keifuku Line tram to Arashiyama. Any of the following bus goes to Kitano Hakubaicho: 101, 102, 204 and 205. To get to the right bus stop, you need to get to Kuramaguchi and Nishioji crossing and cross Nishioji away from Kinkakuji direction. There is a Panasonic shop in front of the bus stop.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

I've just done this. I chose to go to Arashiyama in the morning, then Ryoanji and Kinkakuji in the afternoon. I took the Randen train from Arashiyama to a station that is only a few minutes walk from Ryoanji. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it's clearly advertised at the Arashiyama station. There is a bus that goes between Ryoanji and Kinkakuji. The hot footbath at Arashiyama station is a fantastic thing to do after walking around for a whole morning, and only Y150.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

Hello - Can I suggest that if you are going to see Kinkaku-Ji that you First go to see Royanji which for most of the year opens at 8 am and they are not very far apart. I would then go on to Arashiyama.

My suggestion for doing it this way round is that you can do these two places in a relatively short time and then spend as much of the rest of the day as you like in Arashiyame.

Just a a further suggestion Kinkayu and Royanji are on the same bus route with Royanji being one stop further out of town. We got up very early and got a bus at about 7.30am from the centre of town which go us to Royanji soon after they had opened. This was great as I am sure we saw it at it's best before it got busy for the day. All the bus info is on the internet and it was a fun thing to do!!

7. Re: Kyoto - Arashiyama & Kinkaku-ji in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 07, 2014