We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mountain near Kyoto?

Griesheim-pres-Molsh...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mountain near Kyoto?

Dear readers,

as I will be in Kyoto for some days in July, I would love to go to a mountain walk in the nature.

As "far" as possible from the town life. But because I must use public transport it has not to be to far to reach. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mountain near Kyoto?

The Fushimi Inari shrine, just south of Kyoto, is worth a visit, and there is a mountain with views next to the shrine.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mountain near Kyoto?

How tall must the mountain be? Kyoto city is in the middle of mountains.

http://www.kyoto-trail.net/trail_home_e.html

Griesheim-pres-Molsh...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mountain near Kyoto?

My wife and I go every sunday on mountains; the average height difference is 1000 mt and we usually do it (ascent) in less than 3 hours.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mountain near Kyoto?

Although the shrine is fantastic, I feel Fushimi Inari may not be what you are looking for as it is too built up - it's like being in the suburbs.

For a day trip, I recommend a visit to Mt Kurama, it's very close & easy to reach from the centre of Kyoto about an hour away. Take the subway to Demachiyanagi station then change to the old fashioned Eizan Kurama Line that runs up the mountain to the last stop (30mins) that will leave you in the village of Kurama. From there you can walk or take a cable car up the mountain to see the Buddhist temples and also go on longer hikes. It's very beautiful & feels remote up there although it's not. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html

If you had more time I would suggest a trip deeper into the northern mountains of Kyoto, the Kita-yama area has extensive mountain ranges covered with cedar forests. Now this is remote & there's little else besides tall trees, birds, bears & deer. It's harder to reach by public transport but possible from Kyoto - there's an uncomfortable local bus with narrow seating that takes a few hours to make its way along the roads & it continuously plays the tune 'Greensleeves' non-stop throughout the long journey (so you must be able to withstand that too.) It makes random stops to pick up little old ladies who suddenly appear out of the forest by the side of road. If you wish to stay overnight somewhere there is limited accommodation available in the Miyama district - without a car it's a bit far for a daytrip.

Alternatively, you might consider an easy to reach day trip to Mt Hie, very famous in Japanese history for it's warrior Buddhist monks and also it's 'marathon monks' who seek enlightenment through endurance. It's a popular spot for hiking too. www.keihan.co.jp/travel/en/whattodo/03.html

Griesheim-pres-Molsh...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: mountain near Kyoto?

Thank you very much! Now I have a better knowledge about mountains near Kyoto

6. Re: mountain near Kyoto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 28, 2014