We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kurama and Kibune

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Kurama and Kibune

I am planning a day trip for my family to Kurama and Kibune in mid April.My goal is to escape the crowds, enjoy some different scenery , have some exercise and try some good foods. We are not planning on visiting an onsen.

Should we visit Kurama first and then Kibune or vice versa?

How long will the hike between Kurama and Kibune take?

I know that April is too early to enjoy the summer dining platforms, but will most the restaurants still be open on a weekday?

Does anyone have a restaurant recommendation?

How frequent are the trains travelling from Demachiyanagi to Kibune/Kurama?

Thank you!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kurama and Kibune

Never been there, but I can answer some of your questions.

The train from DEMACHIYANAGI to KURAMA runs every 20 to 30 minutes depending on time of day, The trip takes 30 minutes. KIBUNEGUCHI, where you catch a bus (or walk) to Kibune) is one stop before Kurama. You can see the schedule here: http://www.hyperdia.com

The hike is reported to take an hour, steep at times: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html also japantimes.co.jp/life/….UVensjcTTbU

I checked a couple of restaurants listed in rds.gnavi.co.jp/lang/en/… and they had no closing days. Note that some are very expensive. Hirobun has a couple of Spring lunch specials--the top two items here: http://hirobun.co.jp/menu/spring.html You might want to print out the page, both because it has the restaurant's name (next to the blossoms at the top) and so you can indicate the one you want. Hirobun is noted for it's noodle sluice (or or trough or canal or whatever it is), but that doesn't start 'til May 1

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kurama and Kibune

be sure to wear good shoes for the hike. there are large scraggly tree roots (ki no ne) in parts and steep climbs, as mentioned. we started on the kibune side and my sister called it a death hike and left after 5min. yama no yado site has a suggested walking route, and it also has a restaurant. kurama-onsen.co.jp/sight_seeing_e/index.html

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kurama and Kibune

Thanks RogerR for your detailed answers, all the links were helpful, especially the newspaper article.

Thanks also to trippyNYC, it sounds like it may be safer to walk uphill. and after reading the article from the Japan Times the cable car is sounding tempting!

Batley, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kurama and Kibune

There is a wonderful book written by Jessica Miller all about Mount Kurama. It has stunning photos and in depth information. It is aimed mainly at Reiki healers, but I'm sure that anyone would love it.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,020 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kurama and Kibune

1. Demachiyanagi station departures: ekikara.jp/newdata/…down1_26103011.htm

(* The ones with 鞍 goes to Kurama. Others go towards Mt Hiei).

Kurama station departures: excite.co.jp/transfer/…1-0.html

2. Bus timetable from Kibuneguchi Station to Kibune.

kyotobus.jp/route/…kibuneguchiekimae_01.pdf

Kifune shrine is a historically known "power-spot", where your wishes come true.

Including those of revenge.

Don't go there between 01:00-03:00 midnight (Ushinokoku)

…wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82…

http://nippon-kichi.jp/article_list.do;jsessionid=6B253A37EE43CA87AE489032E1831000?p=271&ml_lang=en

Edited: 9:23 am, April 11, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kurama and Kibune

Thanks Barry, I was not aware of the association with Reiki, that was interesting.

Thanks Yobeekool for your helpful infomation, I think I'll have to enlarge that character for Kurama, or will the trains also have destinations in English?

Will definitely leave before midnight!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,020 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kurama and Kibune

Timetable explanation >>Saddle<< here is for 鞍, or 鞍馬 Kurama.

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

Kurama = Saddle of Horse. Gantei, an apprentice of Jian Zhen (Ganjin 鑑真, a Chinese monk who became Japanese, founder of Toshodaiji Temple in Nara, b688-d763), once was told in a dream that in the north lies a holy mountain. When he went searching for that mountain, he came across a hill on which a white horse with a luxurious saddle was standing. That mountain became what the location of what is known as Kurama Temple, so they say.

Edited: 1:39 am, April 13, 2013
Batley, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kurama and Kibune

Ye Jess, it's quite a pilgtimage destination for Reiki practitioners. It's where Mikao Usui had his enlightenment. If you see anybody stood on the power spot outside Kurama-dera, doing gassho, it's likely that they are Reiki practitioners.

Hope you have an amazing holiday :)

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kurama and Kibune

We did the hike in early May. Dining platforms were open. As has been noted, the slope is steep, so start at Kibune. When you get off the train, basically the bus is waiting for the train.Kurume is a cute little place. The hotspring is very pleasant actually.

10. Re: Kurama and Kibune

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 24, 2014