We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koshien Stadium in Osaka

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Koshien Stadium in Osaka

I'm looking to catch a baseball game at Koshien Stadium in Osaka while I'm staying in Kyoto May 18. Does anyone have any information how to get to the park? Obviously, I can take a train to Osaka, but I'd like to know about getting to the stadium.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koshien Stadium in Osaka

Koshien is Hanshin Tigers base, and naturally Hashin Railways operate trains to/from there. Hanshin Umeda station is beneath Hanshin Department store in Umeda/JR Osaka. You may also take a Hanshin train from Namba, Osaka Dome-mae Chiyozaki, Kujo, and Nishi-Kujo.

Edited: 12:20 pm, March 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koshien Stadium in Osaka

japanball.com/japan_stadium_maps_koshien.htm

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Koshien Stadium in Osaka

My google-search says: Tigers vs Hawks at Koshien on May 18. It's a 'day game' to begin at 1400. Since it's Saturday, attendance will be quite large, unless it's spitting with rain.

Back to topic:

Maybe you should know which railroad line gives you better access to Osaka than the others in the first place. For instance, if you stay somewhere near JR Kyoto then you should take JR to come to Osaka: if in the Shijo-Kawaramachi area then Hankyu Railways. Yes, you may opt for Keihan Railways in case you stay in the Gion area, but that option involves a transfer.

Anyway, once in Osaka, you need to take Hanshin Railways so you can get to the nearest possible railroad station to the stadium: Koshien (on Hanshin Line). Don't take JR from Osaka just because you're a JR pass holder and can find (in a railroad map) a station called Koshien-guchi, which is a gateway station to that ballpark from the JR side. They're more than 2miles apart from each other. I used to bike it all the way down from around here when a kid, so I'm pretty sure how things are. Yes, there's bus services, though, and a cab stand at both sides of that small JR railroad station.

A would-be problem for you is whether or not you can locate Hanshin Umeda Station once you reach Osaka. My advice is, which railroad line you take from Kyoto, don't try to access it all the way through a maze-like underground mall as a first-timer. Should you be in, get onto the surface level and see where you are. The Hilton complex (fartherst right) and Maru Building (slender brownish cylinder-shape next to it)are good landmarks if you stand on the south side of JR Osaka: http://tinyurl.com/c8veyto

Front-center is Hanshin Dept Store, and Hanshin Umeda Station is located right under it. You can't miss it, I reckon.

For your ride on Hanshin: your destination is Koshien, the fare 260yens one way.

Takes 13min (2nd stop) if on ltd expresses, 16min (4th stop) on expresses. Sorry, am not sure about local trains. The fare remains the same whatever you take. Once you alight, just follow the crowd; they'll be all heading in one and the same direction to Koshien Stadium, no worries.

Lastly, don't be surprised if you find your *fellow passengers* commence rooters' song in unison for Tigers in your train car, called *Gales from the Rokko Mountains.* Arrgh!

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Koshien Stadium in Osaka

Outstanding advice. Thanks a lot. I will be staying right next to the JR Kyoto station, so I will take that to Osaka.

5. Re: Koshien Stadium in Osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014