We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport between attractions in Kyoto

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Transport between attractions in Kyoto

Hi all,

I was finalising my Kyoto plans for early April and was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on how to travel to the different attractions.

I did some research online and got some useful information but i am still uncertain about how to get to some places.

Day 1: Osaka Station to Kyoto Station --- JR Special Rapid Service

Kyoto to Saga-Arashiyama --- JR line

Tenryuji to Kinkaku --- Keifuku train

Kinkaku to Nijo Castle --- Bus number 12 ???

Nijo to Gion --- Tozai --> Keihan ???

Day 2: Osaka Station to Kyoto Station --- JR Special Rapid Service

Kyoto to Fushimi Inari --- JR line to Inari

Inari to Kiyomizodera --- JR to Tofukuji ????

Kiyomizoder to Philosopher's path ---- ?????????????

Philosopher's path to Kyoto --- ?????????????

Walking, train or bus options are fine for me, but taxi is out of my budget.

I will probably start my day from Osaka at about 9am and travel around Kyoto till late evening.

Can anyone kindly help me with my transport planning. Please advice if my order of visiting the attractions is ok. Will i have time to squeeze in Nishiki market and is it worth going? (I like photography and food)

One more thing... any good places to see night time cherry blossom lighting up?

Many thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport between attractions in Kyoto

>>Nijo to Gion<< : Metro Tozai Line, indeed, but get off at Sanjo Keihan and walk. More straightforward and fun.

>>[Fushimi] Inari to Kiyomizodera<< : Take the Keihan train instead from Fushimi Inari station to Kiyomizu Gojo and walk uphill.

>>Kiyomizoder[a] to Philosopher's path<< : Walk through Gion to Nanzenji, or take bus No.5, 100, 203 to Nanzenji, Eikando-michi or Higashi-Tennocho. 

>>Philosopher's Path['s northern end at Ginkakuji] to Kyoto [Station]<< Take Bus No. from Ginkakuji-michi to No.17, 102, 203 to Demachi-Yanagi Station. I'd probably get back to Osaka (Yodoyabashi) taking the Keihan Ltd Exp (Cheaper, comfortable, and convenient).

Otherwise, it's okay route-wise (not sure time-wise), but on Day 1, I'd do Nijo Castle the first thing in your case by getting off at Nijo for the Castle, then bus to Kinkakuji. Arashiyama to be visited by Keifuku (entry into Tenryuji by 15:30 or 16:00). In the evening, you might take a walk around the area and have dinner there before you return to Osaka (or procure a nice bento or two at Kyoto Isetan's food basement).

Edited: 7:58 am, March 15, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport between attractions in Kyoto

Hi Yobeekool,

First of all, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your time and effort.

You are right, i also agree that time-wise it might be too rush to complete my itenerary.

This is a list of places that i would like to visit, but i might skip some places along the way.

I might spent a few hours in a place that i like and ignore my plans all together!!

Anyway, i would be grateful if you can answer a few more questions on your last post.

"Kiyomizoder[a] to Philosopher's path<< : Walk through Gion to Nanzenji, or take bus No.5, 100, 203 to Nanzenji, Eikando-michi or Higashi-Tennocho."

Is there a bus that i can take from Kiyomizoder[a] all the way to ginkakuji so that i can walk southwards towards Nanzenji as its seems that Nanzenji area is more convenient to get back to Kyoto Station?

Am i right????

"Philosopher's Path['s northern end at Ginkakuji] to Kyoto [Station]<< Take Bus No. from Ginkakuji-michi to No.17, 102, 203 to Demachi-Yanagi Station. I'd probably get back to Osaka (Yodoyabashi) taking the Keihan Ltd Exp (Cheaper, comfortable, and convenient)."

Do you mean the Keihan Ltd Exp operates from Demachi-Yanagi Station to Osaka (Yodoyabashi)?

I will be staying in Hotel Monterey Osaka near Osaka Station and i am not too sure where is Yodoyabashi?

(sorry that i did not mention that in my previous post.)

In the event that i need to get back to return to Kyoto Station, should i take No.17, 102, 203, 203 (if i am heading northwards) from Ginkakuji to Demachi-Yanagi Station, then use the Keihan, JR line back to Kyoto Station? OR take the Keihan Ltd Exp from Demachi-Yanagi Station to Osaka (Yodoyabashi) and find my way back from Osaka... which is more convenient?

"Day 1, I'd do Nijo Castle the first thing in your case by getting off at Nijo for the Castle, then bus to Kinkakuji. Arashiyama to be visited by Keifuku (entry into Tenryuji by 15:30 or 16:00). In the evening, you might take a walk around the area and have dinner there before you return to Osaka (or procure a nice bento or two at Kyoto Isetan's food basement)."

Is the reason for the order base on transport convenience or better timing in visiting the attractions?

I choose to end at Nijo solely because of visiting Gion. (maybe visiting Gion on the other day is more convenient?) sorry for so many questions.... but may i know what is the bus service number that operates from Nijo Castle to Kinkakuji?

Finally, where can i find Kyoto Isetan? i love bento takeout from supermarket! (Especially after 8-9pm...with discounts...hahaha...)

Again, i sincerely thank you for your valuable information in your last post. I am sure it will make a positive difference in my trip to Kyoto. I am sorry that i have so many questions in this post and i am really thankful for the help and advice that you can give me......Thanks in advance.

3. Re: Transport between attractions in Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 17, 2014