We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

Hi! My family and I (4 of us) will be travelling to Kyoto and Osaka end of Jan 2013. It will be our first visit. Taking into account that it's winter and hence we will have shorter daylight, I've come up with the following itinerary, feel free to comment and suggest on how to better improve the itinerary.

Day 1 (Wed) - arrive Kyoto from Kansai International Airport, around noon

Appreciate suggestions on what we can do for the afternoon/ evening. We will be staying near JR Kyoto station. Would like to do something relaxing and does not cost much. Is it true that Nishiki market is close on Wed?

Day 2 (Thurs) - Kyoto: Kinkakuji in the morning. Then visit Nishiki market for lunch and then take bus to Kiyomizudera and walk back to Gion (not sure which bus from Kinkakuji to Nishiki market and then from Nishiki market to Kiyomizudera)

Day 3 (Fri) - Kyoto: Fushimi Inari or Arashiyama (which would be a better choice, given that we are visiting during winter) and then travel to Osaka early afternoon. Will be staying at Shinsaibashi.

Day 4 (Sat) - Osaka: Osaka castle and shopping arcades (spoilt for choices but would like to visit one where we can buy things that are not too pricey - have pretty tight budget)

Day 5 (Sun) - day trip to Arima Onsen

Day 6 (Mon) - half day in Osaka before travelling back home.

Since the day would be short during winter, do you have any suggestions of what to do at night?

I'm thinking of getting day transport passes while we are in Kyoto and Osaka (Day2 and 4). Would this be wise/cheaper than we were to take taxi, given there are 4 of us travelling together? For trains, I plan to get one way tickets or is there any passes that allows me to visit Fushimi Inari/Arashiyama and then to Osaka on the same day?

While in Osaka, do you have any other suggestions of what to do, besides the visiting the castle and shopping arcades? I'll give the aquarium a miss this time.

Also, any good food to recommend that wouldn't burn a hole in our pocket?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,121 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

Day 1 (Wed) - arrive Kyoto from Kansai International Airport, around noon

Appreciate suggestions on what we can do for the afternoon/ evening.

I think you might visit visit Fushimi Inari.

Nishiki Market's shops have varying closure days. Perhaps some are closed in Wednesday, but I imagine it should be still fun to walk around together with Teramachi-dori and Shinkyogoku arcade nearby.

Day 2 (Thurs) - Kyoto: Kiyomizu Temple in the morning. I don't think you'd need to go back to Nishiki Market just for lunch. There would be more options in Higashiyama area especially around Gion. I recommend going through Sanneizaka-Kodaiji-Yasaka Shrine then visiting Nanzenji and perhaps Ginkakuji.

Day 3 (Fri) - Kyoto: Visit Kinkakuji first thing in the morning (opens at 09:00), then take bus or taxi to Nijo Castle. Afternoon can be spent in Arashiyama. You can take the evening Shinkaisoku train to Shinsaibashi via JR Osaka./Umeda. If you aren't worn out, you might still visit Dotombori at night for dinner

Day 4 (Sat) - Osaka: Osaka castle and shopping arcades. You can visit Namba (by walking through Shinsaibashi-suji and Ebisubashi-suji arcade).

You might actually visit Nara instead of Osaka Castle (if you can allow half day on the last day, visit Osaka Castle).

Day 5 (Sun) - day trip to Arima Onsen. As you'd be going through Umeda to take the bus, you can visit the department stores there on your way or back.

Day 6 (Mon) - half day in Osaka before travelling back home.

Edited: 2:24 am, December 24, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,121 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

Tips1: No need for any passes except for the JR West Kansai Area Pass 1-Day for the Haruka ride to Kyoto. You might or might not gain from Haruka+ICOCA deal. Take the normal public transport. In Kyoto, take metro to the nearest point and then take bus/taxi.

Tips2: You'll find things to do after dark, don't worry. Do shopping: shops could be open until 20-22 hours, some open until morning. Go to a cafe. Karaoke box, if you like. Games center.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,007 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

On day 1, definitely get ICOCA & Haruka from KIX to Kyoto. It saves more than the 1-day JR West Pass. In fact, you can opt for the roundtrip package to return from Osaka by taking Midosuji subway line to Tennoji and then catch Haruka again to KIX Airport. Be sure to return the ICOCA prior to departure.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,121 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

On second thoughts, as Sammyfloyd suggests, ICOCA & Haruka return deal should best fit you.

westjr.co.jp/global/…

Have fun.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated =)

I'm a little confused about the ICOCA & Haruka deal. If I were to get the round ticket, I'll need to pay 4000 Yen and I'll get a round trip from Kansai Airport to/from Kyoto/Osaka and also 2000 Yen that can be used for buses and subways in Kyoto and Osaka?

Would it be better to take the bus to Arima Onsen or the train? Do I need to book in advance for the bus tickets? will there be any difference if I were to go there on a saturday or sunday?

Thanks again!

6. Re: Kyoto and Osaka itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 27, 2013