We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with Golden Week?

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
What's up with Golden Week?

Hi,

might have seen my post about trying to find accomodation in Kyoto but I've found it's impossible over golden week.

I was wondering what goes on at this time in Japan? Is the whole country out on trips, staying home, doing touristy things?

Do the Tokyo residents head for Kyoto and other toursit destinations?

Thanks, still trying to plan our last minute trip!

Cycle Kyoto
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Kyoto FooDrink Tour -Japan Wonder Travel
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Kyoto Cycling Tour Project
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Silverdale...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's up with Golden Week?

I'm no expert having just returned from my 1st japan trip Monday, but I was having the same problems getting a place to stay in Kyoto since I was there Friday night - the start of the golden week. I was trying to get a ryokan but had to settle for a "regular" hotel - the comfort inn. Not the coolest for Japan but I was able to book on-line with immediate availability. Anyway, from what I understand there is a span of a week with 3 or so holidays interspersed. With so many holidays in a week, many Japanese take the whole week off. And yes, Tokyo residents head to Kyoto. I rode the Shinkansen the "good" direction which was towards Tokyo Saturday when (supposedly) Tokyo is heading for Kyoto (and elsehwere). There were only a handful of people on my train.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's up with Golden Week?

I would say that the bulk of the country stays home. The problem is, it only takes a small percentage of the total population to overload the transportation and lodging infrastructure so it appears as though everyone is out and about. At times of natural disasters in most countries, the phone lines become jammed because they are designed to handle only a very small percentage of the population at once. If that load goes over the capacity (in network engineering, it's called over-subscription, the airlines call it over-booking, etc.) then everything appears to be totally jammed up and full.

<<<I was wondering what goes on at this time in Japan? Is the whole country out on trips, staying home, doing touristy things?

Do the Tokyo residents head for Kyoto and other toursit destinations?>>>