We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Onsens with private rooms

Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Onsens with private rooms

I will be travelling to Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo in Dec with my husband and wonder if there are any onsens with private baths in any of these cities that we can book? We've done hot springs that are gender segregated and would much prefer to enjoy a private bath by ourselves.

I would like this to be:

- A day trip maybe inclusive of a kaiseiki dinner if the onsen provides such a thing

- No more than 60mins travel from city centre (don't want to spend too much time travelling!)

- An onsen with private open-air baths and a beautiful view would be absolutely ideal and fantastic!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,341 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Onsens with private rooms

If you'd like a proper meal included, you should go for a stay plan, really.

When are you planning in Dec? Prices and availability differ according to dates.

Look for Izu near Tokyo or Shirahama/Kushimoto near Osaka.

>>No more than 60mins travel from city centre<< but >> An onsen with private open-air baths and a beautiful view<< and >>A day trip maybe inclusive of a kaiseiki dinner<< is hard to find, though.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Onsens with private rooms

The following fit the bill if you stay in Kyoto.

Rangetsu:

http://www.rangetsu.jp/index2.html

(Japanese language only)

Hoshinoya:

global.hoshinoresort.com/hoshinoya_kyoto/

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Onsens with private rooms

Hard to achieve your aim from Tokyo - as 60 mins from Tokyo & you're still pretty much in Tokyo, a tiny bit further and you have some of the best ryokan & hotspring in Japan

A bullet train will get you to Atami (has hotsprings & ryokan) or Mishima in 60mins - to get to Izu.

Izu has the most options, there are some really great ryokan & hotsprings dotted around there (I recommend Shuzenji)

Odawara/Hakone area also.

You could also consider the Nikko area - but also more than 60 mins out.

Searching Japanican you can select ryokan with 'ensuite open air bath' - remember the prices normally include kaiseki meals & good ryokan are worth the splurge. Watch out for some of the listings, some of these look more like hotels for large group tours & avoid anywhere that advertises karaoke facilities. (maybe change the 'sort by' button)

http://www.japanican.com/ryokan/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Onsens with private rooms

If you will be in Osaka/Kyoto, then Arima Onsen is an option. I stayed at a very nice resort inn, with private baths that can be reserved for free.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298562-d105…

with pics.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Onsens with private rooms

As you say you're going to be going from Osaka/Kyoto to Tokyo, or vice versa, Hakone is not so far out of your way, though for best enjoyment of meal and bath I'd recommend staying overnight.

Edited: 11:37 am, July 20, 2012
SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Onsens with private rooms

What you want is Kashikiri Higaeri Roten Onsen(Private time reserved day use outdoor onsen).

Here are the info. & list of Kashikiri onsens & day use onsens.. Many have day use with lunch/dinner packages/private resting room options, though not cheap. Pick a region where you want to go & narrow down.

http://www.kashikiri-onsen.com/

kashikiri-onsen.com/theme_kashikirihigaeri.h…

Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Onsens with private rooms

Thank you everyone! :) This will need some research - so many choices! Pity that Hoshinoya is a bit more expensive than our budget allows - it looks beautiful and quite perfect! (Plus it's one of the few places with an English language site!).

I will be travelling Osaka -> Kyoto -> Tokyo; no intention to visit Hakone as I have done so during my last visit.

I'll start with these leads and hopefully manage to find the perfect experience for us. :)

Edited: 10:17 pm, July 20, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
21 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Onsens with private rooms

I can recommend Arashiyama Onsen Ryokan Togetsutei. It is a suburb of Kyoto and serves Keiseki Dinner and has private onsen in some rooms [Type II rooms]. They are expensive, around 80,000 to 100,000 yens per night including dinner and breakfast.

Most rooms with private onsen will be on the expensive side near these big cities. However, if you go to smaller onsen towns (jlike Arima, Hakodate etc.), you may get a better deal, but you will have to do some travel. It is not a bad idea as you will see rural Japan and enjoy something out of the beaten path.

Good luck.

9. Re: Onsens with private rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 14, 2013