We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on this area?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on this area?

We are considering taking an apartment for 3 weeks in Kyoto in an area which from Google maps looks like is called Hontorocho, on Matsuba Dori. Can anyone with local knowledge provide advice about what this area is like as far as local restaurants, access to transport etc goes?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on this area?

Anyone?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on this area?

It's a residential area--not very interesting nor particularly convenient for sightseeing, but it's not a bad location either. It's a 5 minute walk from Gojo Station on Karasuma subway line, so you have a very easy access to Kyoto Station.

There are some restaurants, convenient stores and a super market near Gojo Station.

It's not a location I'd base myself, but it might work for you.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,835 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on this area?

I can't find the area on Japanese Google Map, perhaps because of my ignorance of how Kanjis pronounced (Kyoto has ancient names which are hard to pronounce). If you could paste the address in Japanese, or the exact location of your accomodation, or any establishment near it, it would help a lot. But I suppose Shibuyakko-san has already found it.

If it's near Gojo Station, yes it should be convenient from/to Kyoto Station complex, which is great for shopping and dining. I would want to base myself somewhere around Takoyakushi or Teramachi-dori, though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on this area?

Thanks folks for the feedback. From doing a bit more reading I think we'll base ourselves somewhere in the Higashiyama area..

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on this area?

Yobeekool-san. It's 本燈籠町 on 松原通り:-) You're so right to say that it's so hard to figure out a Japanese address when it's written in English.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on this area?

>>>I think we'll base ourselves somewhere in the Higashiyama area..<<<

Good idea! I think Higashiyama, especially Gion gives you more "Kyoto feeling."

7. Re: Comments on this area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 19, 2013