We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Any suggestion ? TNX

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Scroll about halfway down this page for ideas - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Besides the one listed in Dave's link:

Hiroshima is a possibility although transport cost would be high relatively speaking.

Shirahama in Wakayama Prefecture offers onsen, striking ocean views, and sandy beaches.

Edited: 6:38 pm, June 20, 2012
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Arashiyama?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Arashiyama is basically part of Kyoto although a visit there does require a separate day. Make sure to include Sagano.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Top pick for me would be Koyasan... it would be a very full day but is still do-able for a day trip if you haven't already been there.

Koyasan was one of the highlights for our last trip to Japan and a was a great way to end our trip... Very easy to get there, beautiful scenery and a very relaxing trip on on the way there. Once there, just about everything is in walking distance so very easy to navigate around.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4900.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Okayama-Uo-jo (castle) and Korakoen (gardens)

Hiroshima-A Bomb memorial, Miyajima

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

I assume you have already included Osaka in your itinerary? Despite the prevailing (erroneous) notion, it is way more than a "concrete jungle" and there are things to do there besides getting drunk and eating B-class gourmet food. For starters, the aquarium, which is very easy to get to, is quite excellent and I would recommend a minimum of two hours to go through it (three or more if you are particularly interested in aquariums, but for your sanity go on a weekday). If aquariums really aren't your cup of tea, there are plenty of other things to do for a day in Osaka, and public transit is very good.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

So many options.. Thank you all, the option of Arashiyama seem very atractive to me becasue it gives a total other sightseeing while dont require a long transporation.

Australia
Level Contributor
505 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

On my upcoming trip I am planning to go to Hikone on lake Biwa by train for a day trip and another day trip to the MiHo Museum (see http://www.miho.or.jp/english/index.htm).

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day out of Kyoto exept Nara ?

Hikone is particularly easy to do if you are coming from Tokyo on Shinkansen using the JR Pass, as it's just one station away from Maibara, the Hikari stop.

Miho Museum is actually a bit controversial museum as it is owned by a founder of a new religious sect that had issues related to donation. There's nothing wrong with the art collection, or starting a religious sect (all religious sects are created at some point in history anyway), and they most probably won't encourage visitors to become visitors, but you might just take note as to why few Japanese people visit there.

I think it should be visited together with more popular attractions in its vicinity, the Shigaraki historic pottery town and Koga, the historic Ninja homeland of the Koka-style Ninjutsu.