We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Liphook, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Does anyone recommend this as a trip out from Kyoto?

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Yes. Himeji is the ultimate in castles in Japan, in my opinion. Study the history of it and you will understand its significance, it is NOT a reconstruction (and some that reconstructed even have elevators!!), and it is architecturally and aesthetically gorgeous. It is a short trip from Kyoto (I do it every year) and you can be back to Kyoto for the afternoon.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

jmum,

Look at this site.

http://www.himeji-castle.gr.jp/

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

When will you go? If it is during cherry blossom season, the place will be mobbed! Himeji Castle if fabulous- I've lived in Japan 20 years and go there whenever a relative or friend visits and never tire of seeing it! It's about an hour by Shinkansen from Kyoto and you can start out in the morning and do it as a half-day trip!If you have a rail pass, you might as well come over here to Okayama/Kurashiki, another 30 minutes west by Shinkansen, and see Korakuen Park, Okayama Castle and the historical area of downtown Kurashiki! Incidentally, Himeji Castle is also fondly known as "Shirasagi-jo", white heron castle as the walls are white, and Okayama Castle as "Karasu-jo", crow castle, as its walls are black!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Hi

Yes, my wife and I went to Himeji castle from Kyoto in May last year. We used Kyoto as a base to visit different places such as Himeji, Hiroshima etc. We had a guidebook that gave quite a bit of info about the castle but it would have been great with an English guide. But when we went there they did not have any tours in English.

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Liphook, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

thank you all. It sounds really good and we will be there in cherry blossom time - so will get prepared to be trampled!

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

I went two years ago and can strongly recommend it.We hooked up with an English speaking guide who we got the impression was a volunteer but extremely knowledgable about all aspects of the castle's history, construction etc It is well worth inquiring about a guide at the ticket desk but even without one the spectacle of the beautiful castle alone will make the trip worthwhile(I still have one of the photos as my wallpaper on my computer at work!)

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Just reiterating what everyone else has said, definately visit. Incidently the castle is about 15-20 minutes walk from the train station on a slight incline.

West Coast Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Hi,

We found a great tasting noodle place within the Himeji train station. It is so far the best broth during our 1.5 week travels throughout Japan. It was in the cornor with fake versions of the food items. You had to buy a ticket from the vending machine to order. As we looked very confused trying to match up the characters in the display to the vending machine, one of the staff helped us. It was sooo good.

After Himeji castle, the other castles paled in comparison for us in terms of originality.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Himeji-jo is one of four 'National Treasure' castles, and the best IMHO.

Each of the four are still in its original wooden state, and not a ferro-concrete reconstruction (like Osaka-jo for instance, which was originally destroyed during the war).

I think the other three are Hikone-jo (also near Kyoto), Matsumoto-jo and Inuyama-jo. All are worth a visit!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hameji Castle - near Kyoto

Others have spoken of Himeji's main attraction, the castle; I recommend that you visit the castle as well as Kokoen, a nice garden just West (left, as you face the castle from the station). The parks around the castle are also nice if you just want a relaxing stroll; walk along the moat in either direction. If you have the time Engyoji Temple on Mt. Shoya is also very nice; it's about 30 minutes from the station by bus and then cable car. Expect to walk a lot.

John W.