We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flea Market question

Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Flea Market question

Hi I have been trying to find flea markets in and around kyoto early in October,,,,unhappily there have been no suggestions for me,,,I have subsequently found a notation that suggests that there is indeed a market at Toji on the 1st sunday of every month? Not as big as the famous ones later in the month but still large.! Does anyone know anything about this market? Does it actually exist? Thanks for any info!

Mentioned in this post
Toji
Toji
1,332 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flea Market question

Yes, it does exist. See the photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Toji+Temple+Market+Kyoto&w=all

It is held on the 21st of each month. I think they have a small scale Garakuta-ichi on the first Sunday of every month, but I'm not 100% sure...

See this link for other flea markets in Kyoto:

www.japan-hopper.com/2007/02/16_18617.php

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flea Market question

since we are on the topic of flea market, just wondering, do japanese stall vendors purposely jack up their quoted prices for tourists?

in other words, is there a culture of price bargaining in Japan?

if yes, what are the usual bargaining threshold? 40%?

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flea Market question

Hello and thank you! The link you provided was great and provided a lot of info about the flea markets. Yes, there seems to be a first sunday market! Perfect

Washington
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flea Market question

It is my understanding that it is permissable to bargain at flea markets. There is no mistreatment of tourists however that I have ever heard of.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
634 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flea Market question

It's always been a rumor that the prices are jacked up for tourists but I don't think so...if you can understand a little Japanese you can hang out near Japanese customers and see what price they are quoted. When I've done that I haven't noticed that they get lower prices.

And bargaining is definitely expected, just offer whatever you think you want to spend, and see what the counter offer is. Or you can ask for a discount, and see what the vendor offers. Then counter. Some of the vendors seem to get a kick out of bargaining, some just offer a discount and that's it.

6. Re: Flea Market question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 09, 2010