We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
100 posts
33 reviews
Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

Hi,

We are planning 4N in Osaka, and 3N in Kyoto. Like to find out if it is recommended to stay put in Osaka hotel and make daily trips to Kyoto or to move to Kyoto for the 3N. Would the experience be different if we stayed in Kyoto?

We may also go to Nara, if time permits.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

Move on to Kyoto. It's a relatively straightforward train journey from Osaka to Kyoto, but if you're doing that in the morning and evening for three days on top of sightseeing you'll be exhausted! There's plenty of evening eating and drinking options in Kyoto, so moving to a hotel there is definitely recommended.

Japan
Destination Expert
for Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

This is just my opinion and experience, but I would not choose to move from Osaka to Kyoto. If you are staying in an Osaka place that you like, do consider just staying there. I feel that by the time I pack, check out of the Osaka hotel, move to the Kyoto hotel, have them hold my luggage because it will be too early to check in, then come back later and check in.....it seems like I've wasted a lot of time that could have been spent doing something interesting in either city.

It really is an easy train ride from Osaka to Kyoto, you can make your daily plans based on weather and what's going on in either city, instead of based on moving to the other city. Thousands of people commute every day between Kyoto and Osaka for work, shopping, and meeting friends. (which does mean you will be on a train with a lot of other people if you travel during rush hours....but that in itself is a cultural experience!!)

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

A lot depends on where you're staying in Osaka; it's a big city, after all. In general, though, I would not transfer to another hotel. You'll lose about a half day doing that, and Osaka is a better base for day tripping to the surrounding area. To me the train ride isn't bad, it's relatively quick, and it's a good time to rest up and reflect on the day. One thing to consider: if you aren't using a rail pass you might choose to move closer to where you'll be traveling, if you're on a tight budget.

John W.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
45,170 posts
116 reviews
4. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

I am in favor of moving in your case because you have a whole week so why not experience both cities a bit? The move isn't too costly in terms of time because the train ride between the two cities is just 30 minutes. Stay three nights in Kyoto to see Kyoto. Osaka itself isn't worth four days so plan a couple of days for trips out of the city to places like Nara, Koyasan, or Hiroshima.

Kyoto is noticeably quieter than Osaka at night. Even some of the restaurants at central Kyoto take their last orders by 9 or 9:30pm.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

I agree with Sammy 100%. Definitely move to Kyoto. It gives you different feels when you stay in a city than visiting as a day trip.

There are lots of restaurants, bars, and pubs that are open all night in Kiyamachi area of Kyoto.

Singapore
Level Contributor
100 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

Thank you so much for all your replies.

I am planning to stay at Granvia Hotel in Osaka, so that I have the convenience of having the train right at my door step.

Staying put in Osaka or moving on to Kyoto, both has it pros and cons. I really have to think about the conveniences for both.

Btw, I am travelling with 8pp, with 2 children, 2 grandparents and a toddler. Not sure if this will make a difference to decision.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
45,170 posts
116 reviews
7. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

Moving around even with your group shouldn't be difficult, particularly if you pick a hotel near Kyoto Station. There are many hotels within a 3-minute walking radius of Kyoto station with all sorts of budgets.

8. Re: Move to Kyoto, or stay put in Osaka hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, January 19, 2010