We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryokan in Kyoto in May

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ryokan in Kyoto in May

Anyone know of a good ryokan for several nights in late May? Ideally I'd like something traditional, reasonably quiet (for a business trip), within a couple of miles of the university and up to about $150 (US). Internet would be useful too. I've been searching the web but am now totally overwhelmed.

Also, I've been kind of thinking about the rooms at the Shunkoin Temple. It looks like the temple is a long way from the university but I was wondering if cycling would be feasible. I cycle to work at home but I'm not used to scary city traffic. Any advice?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryokan in Kyoto in May

Wonder where you commute to by bike. Can you give us the name of the university?

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryokan in Kyoto in May

It's just Kyoto University, as far as I'm aware. But the Shunkoin rooms are full now, as are the three ryokans I've tried so far...

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryokan in Kyoto in May

Not sure if you are allowed to bike around on the campus really, but I saw this on some occasion: a forein student did bike around there some years back. Maybe no one cares.

If you stay not in the vicinity of the university but somewhere farther away, a bike ride goes a long way, I suppose.

4. Re: Ryokan in Kyoto in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 24, 2009