We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto Snow

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto Snow

As see from various webcams and the forecast that its currently snowing in or close to Kyoto. My question is how rare is this and if its not rare how does the City cope with Snow. In London when it snows its complete chaos with tubes and trains cancelled left right and center. I am in Kyoto next month and part of me wishes for snow but only if transport does come to a complete stop.

Thanks

Paul

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto Snow

Compared with public transportation in the UK, you'll find Japan amazingly efficient, cheap, clean and punctual, no matter what the weather does. Train and bus services do very occasionally get disrupted (though more often by typhoons and earthquakes than by snow), and whilst it does sometimes snow in Kyoto I don't think heavy snow is common, particularly at this time of year.

I remember a two hour delay of some bullet trains in Tokyo once making the national news in Japan - if that kind of news was reported on England there'd be no time for anything else on TV.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto Snow

Rarely does it snow in central Kyoto. Actually, it did snow a few times last winter, however, but that was quite exceptional. Funny, lots of people tried hitting Golden/Silver Pavilion for a nicer view under the elements. Yes, buses/subways did run as if to beat the clock, as expected.

By the by, today's weather forecast calls for a spell of cold weather in Kyoto/Nara for the remainder of this week: looks like the Siberian cold front got sober and decided to stay a bit longer than wanted...something not in the least expected among locals, brrr.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto Snow

Hi Shot

I thought the forecast was colder than normal for November, I suspect this will clear the trees of there beautiful foliage quicker than normal. I think we are getting the same cold winds on Saturday in London with 2c daytime predicted.

I see you are based in Nara, we loved visiting Nara last December and will do so again this December. I have one question, is the older part of town worth a look and I should I concentrate on the Temples I missed last time.

Thanks again for your initial reply.

Paul

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto Snow

Not sure if this is relevant to your itinery. We travelled to Nikko early spring this year and woke to falling snow...just magic.

Travel time about 1.5 hr / 2 hr from Tokyo by train.

Other travellers might know if you are able to catch snow around your time of travel.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto Snow

FlapLondon

Oddly enough, many, if not most, of the hills/mountains are still look greenish in Nara. That said, popular spots will have been on the wane by the end of this week. Yes, that'd be my last chance this year to pop into Arashiyama/Nanzenji, both in Kyoto, to hunt for gorgeous views.

I may be wrong but among overseas tourists, opinon differs as to Naramachi, which you referred to as "the older part of town," and which you missed out on last time you came around. Even locals with no cutural backgrounds may possibly decide that it's not all it's cracked up to be. Yes, it seems they favor over Naramachi the Takabatake area, the easternmost tip of the environs on Deer Park, where you can enjoy a lot more leisurely walk in tranquility. You could reach here either through the lanes stretching out of Kasuga Shrine, or via Ukimido Hall, which is seen above the pond surface.

But like you perhaps imagine, the maze-like alleyways in Naramachi in particular looks totally quaint at dusk.

Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Kyoto Snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 13, 2009