We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

I plan on traveling from Kyoto to Tokyo on New Year's Day. Will this be a problem? For example, will there be fewer trains running because of the holiday? Do I need to make seat reservations?

I am also trying to decide if it is worth getting the JR Rail Pass. We are traveling from Tokyo to Hakone to Kyoto to Nara to Kyoto to Tokyo over a 5 day period.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

Most trains do run on Jan 1, so far as I can tell. My totally uniformed guess is that it's not a heavy travel day, but it wouldn't hurt to make reservations a couple of days ahead.

You about break even on the rail pass if you go from Tokyo to Kyoto and back. My guess is that you will come out a little bit ahead. But the pass is freedom. Bored with Kyoto? Hop the Shinkansen to Himeji for a quick look at the castle.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

It will definately be a bust day to travel as most Japanese will have taht day off work. All the trains will be running, but I recommend making reservations in this case.

JR railpass is just about a wash when you add in the Narita Express, etc. Compare prices of individual train legs here: jorudan.co.jp/english/…e-norikeyin.html

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

Sorry, I meant to type it will be a BUSY travel day.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

It will be difficult to make a seat reservation of Shinkansen(bullet train) on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th December,as many people go on vacation. And it's better to avoid taking a Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo on 3rd and 4th of January, as there will be a lot of returning vacationers.

Traveling on the 1st of January will be no problem. It's fine to make a reservation at JR Narita airport station when you arrive in Japan.

NYC
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

Hmmm. We do plan on travelling by train on Dec. 28 - we are going to Hakone from Tokyo.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

Traveling from Tokyo to Hakone (via Odawara) on Dec. 29 by “KODAMA” Shinkansen may be OK though both HIKARI and NOZOMI Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka would be very crowded on Dec. 29. (If you are not familiar with Kodama/Hikari/Nozomi, please see http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html) However, Hikari Shinkansen trains from Odawara to Kyoto on Dec. 30 (?) would be very crowded. I’d recommend that you reserve your Shinkansen seats at Narita Airport upon your arrival, if possible. Please have your 2nd/3rd choice ready as your 1st choice may be sold out.

Traveling from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1 shouldn’t be a problem.

7. Re: Train Travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Jan. 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, October 10, 2009