We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jidai & kumara Festivals

chicago, illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Jidai & kumara Festivals

We are thinking of visiting Kyoto during the Jidai & Kurama festivals (Octover 22nd). As we only have a few days to explore Kyoto, should we avoid the day of or days leading up to these festivals? Are other tourist sites closed either on the day of or days leading up to the festivals? Will it just be too crowded and hotel rooms scarce. Or, are these festivals a must see?

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Washington State
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jidai & kumara Festivals

I saw the Jidai Matsuri Festival. It was not that crowded. I attended the July Gion Matsuri many years ago, and the streets were full of almost a million people. Crowded, but I still enjoyed it.

As for the Jidai Matsuri, I enjoyed photographing the many examples of ancient wardrobe during the parade. They cover the gamut from early Japan all the way through the Samurai and later eras. I think you would enjoy it.

I have been to Kyoto around 10 times. It is my favorite city on earth. There are plenty of tourist attractions to see. If I had just two days, then I would not miss Nijo Castle, Sanjusangendo Temple, Kiyomizu Temple, Ginkaku-ji Temple, Nanzenji Temple and if you have more time visit Kinkakuji Temple and Ryoanji Temple's rock and gravel garden. I could go on an on there is so much to see. Most of the ones I recommend are in the city central area. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Jidai Matsuri
Jidai Matsuri
21 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Gion Matsuri
Gion Matsuri
125 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan