We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me if it would be possible to visit the bamboo forests in Arashiyama by train & still be back to Kyoto station by approx 4pm?

We would be looking at visiting on a Sunday & we are traveling with 2 children, 1 aged 23 months (so we will have a stroller) and 1 aged 10.

We will be in Japan in mid June but only have 3 full days in Kyoto so I'm trying to organise an itinerary to see as much as possible without wearing out the kids (or ourselves!)

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,508 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
72 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

you should be fine, we spent about half a day there, went through the bamboo forest ( we hired bikes)and pottered around a bit. had a lovely time. the trains were really regular from what I recall.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

From Kyoto Main Station to Arashiyama (Saga-Arashiyama Sta) is just 5 stops and takes less 20 minutes by local train or 15 minutes by rapid.

There is several Arashiyama station. specify as Saga-Arashiyama.

around there, Tenryu-ji temple, Nison-in, jojakkou-ji temple, Togetsu-kyo bridge and more. If you have time to back central Kyoto city, jump on bus to see the town on return way.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,508 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto City Hotel
Kyoto City Hotel
33 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

Hi,

Thank-you both for the info.

Yully would you know what bus number we need to take to head back through Kyoto city as you mentioned?

Thanks Tania.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto City Hotel
Kyoto City Hotel
33 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

is Arashiyama covered under the JR Pass. Is the bamboo forest far away from the station?

Mentioned in this post
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,508 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

depends on where you are around Arashiyama.

You can take any bus which shows 'to Kyoto'(by japanese letter, though) on head of bus.

for example, from Arashiyama sta.

bus number:71/72 (some are rapid. doesn't matter)

same numbers bus head opposit direction,too. ask anybody around you that the bus stop for Kyoto station.you can download Kyoto bus map here:

city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

There are some Arashiyama station;

*Saga-Arashiyama station (JR sagano line)-you can use JR pass.

*Keifuku-Arashiyama station (Keifuku Arashiyama line)-it is not JR line. and this line starts from midle of town. not from Kyoto station.

*Hankyu-Arashiyama station (Hankyu line)

Mentioned in this post
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,508 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

There's two more around here: Saga Station and Arashiyama Station both for truck trains carrying tourists along the gorge. If you come via a JR train, you may possibly like to get off at Saga Arashiyama to switch to the truck train departing from Saga, which station stands right by JR Saga Arashiyama. If case you walk it from that JR railroad station, the distance to be covered is 600-700meters, depending on which way to take: going either 1)west toward Nonomiya Shrine nearby a JR crossing and from there down south to the main street, or 2)south toward a keifuku tram station and from there in the west for Togetsu Bridge.

The bamboo lane is best covered from Truck Station Arashiyama: there's a road curving up toward the entrance / exit to Tenryuji Temple. That lane gets most chic in here. FYI, if you walk a bit away from here, you'll locate Ohkochi Villa, which is known for its beautiful Japanese garden.

<<There are some Arashiyama station>>

Mentioned in this post
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,508 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Nonomiya Shrine
Nonomiya Shrine
226 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Tenryuji Temple
Tenryuji Temple
1,607 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Oz
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

If that all sound too difficult...taxi ride 25 mins about 2500 yen ($25Aus).

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

I thought all it is was JR Sagano Line – 15 mins from kyoto and costs 230Yen. Would this get me to Tenryu-ji? I read that the bamboo forest is just behind it.

If i caught the bus as you describe, is the journey covered under the kyoto day pass for the bus?

Mentioned in this post
Sagano
Sagano
703 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

>>Would this get me to Tenryu-ji? I read that the bamboo forest is just behind it.

Yes. It is. Most people from Station walk toward Tenryu-ji first. Just follow them.

>>If i caught the bus as you describe, is the journey covered under the kyoto day pass for the bus?

sorry but I don't know about Kyoto day pass.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest in half day?

The Bus day pass does not cover going all the way to the Area, the bit you need to go to is outside of the bus zone, I couldn't discover if I could pay a bit extra for the fare when I got off or had to buy a single ticket at the beginning so I chickened out and went on the train!

The walk from the JR station to the bamboo is fine, we did the Golden Temple in the morning then went to the forest so your timescales will be fine, at the JR station I sem to remember the trains were not than frequent, - cant remember if they were more frequent than every 30 mins, so check the schedule, if you have to be back for a certain time.