We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Raku bus

San Francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about Raku bus

I see there are three Raku routes. Does each bus make a circular run in its own territory so you can get off at a particular attraction, then when done exploring that attraction, you wait for the next bus and go onto the next attraction? If I want to see, say, only two attractions on each of the Raku routes, would I be able to do that in one day since they all end up at Kyoto Station? I like that there are announcements in English (from what I read) and it seems very convenient rather than figuring out all the transfer connections, etc., and I do see that it covers the places we want to visit. Your help is always appreciated.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Raku bus

I rode the RAKU buses for a couple days last month. The announcements are usually in English. The first time I rode the 100 bus, it didn't make any English announcements, although the next day it did. Maybe something was broken. I remember English announcements were made on the 101 and 102.

You can hop off the bus, go see something, and then hop back on to go to the next site.

The routes weren't actually that clear. I hopped on the 101 at Kinkaku-ji michi, expecting it to go back to Kyoto Station (the map said it was going back to Kyoto Station,) but instead it stopped at the Kitaoji bus terminal, and everyone had to get off. I ended up taking the subway back to Kyoto Station. I know that 102 just stays on the north side of the city, and doesn't go to Kyoto Station. I ended up using a combination of buses and the subway to get around.

You don't necessarily have to go back to Kyoto Station to catch another bus. I took the 100 bus from Kyoto Station to Ginkaku-ji, and then after touring Ginkaku-ji, I walked to the nearby 102 bus stop to ride it to Kinkaku-ji. The stops for the 100 and 102 were a couple blocks from each other.

Make sure you buy a 500-yen all day bus pass. I bought mine in a building in front of Kyoto Station that looks like a combined coffee-shop/tourist information place. I didn't do this the first day, but I learned my lesson, and bought one the next day.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Raku bus

Raku Buses(100 / 101 / 102) do not run in a circle; those going around in a circle are line two hundreds: 202 / 203 / 204 / 205 / 207 / 208. So, for exaple, if you start your trip from JR Kyoto focusing on Ginkakuji and Golden Pavilion, you can ride a raku bus100 to Ginkakuji, transfer to a raku bus102 from there to Golden Pavilion and hit it back to JR Kyoto from it on raku bus101. One important thing to note is, there's almost always one bus station located across from the other on the same street, either of which goes in the opposite direction. So in your case you can't afford to wait at the station you've got off at. No, you don't have to get back to JR Kyoto for the second leg. FYI, you can get a non-raku204 at Ginkakuji-michi to make it directly for Golden Pavilion, which I did about a month ago. As for a 500-yen one-day freepass, you can buy one from a vending machine in each bus station platform at JR Kyoto Bus Terminal: there's a gray-colored stand-alone stantion-like stuff by the fence / pillar with a plastic model imbedded under the small glass screen. Yes, you can go buy one, of course, at the bus info center as Simba suggested.

Enjoy your stay.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Raku bus

See the route of each Raku bus:

…kyoto.jp/visitkyoto/…

You can buy the 500 yen day bus pass just about anywhere near the bus stops in Kyoto city bus routes.

Usually stationary or book stores and alike. You don't have to go back to the JR station area to purchase one.

We bought ours in Gion area. Your hotel/ryokan may sell, also.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Raku bus

Thank you all for clearing that up for me.

5. Re: Question about Raku bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 15, 2009