We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

oregon
Level Contributor
70 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

We will be departing Kyoto for Kurume(Fukuoka); is it possible, if we get up early, to visit Himeji castle AND the Hiroshima Peace memorial on the way to Kurume all in one day? I have no idea the minimum time that should be given to each site to make stopping worthwhile.

LOOKS like the fast train goes from Kyoto to Kurume with stops at Himeji (about 3 hours from Kyoto) and 1 hour to Hiroshima from Himeji... IF ...I read the schedule correctly. Hiroshima to Kurume is a couple hours but we can get in late and it is ok. Starting early that would give us at least a few hours in Himeji castle and the Hiroshima Peace memorial...AGAIN, IF I read the schedule correctly. Is that enough time? can you help? Advice, please! Many thanks.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

I am of the opinion that the Peace Park in Hiroshima is deserving of a lot of time, ditto the Peace Memorial Museum. I don't think a 'flying visit' would do either justice...

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

I suppose it's feasible in a day, if not enough time to get around.

1) Kyoto 7:49--Shinkansen Hikari-->8:35 Himeji

5,130 yen (reserved seat)

4,620 yen (unreserved)

The castle opens at 9am.

2) Himeji 12:29--Hikari-->13:28 Hiroshima

8,070 yen (reserved)

7,560 yen (unreserved)

Catch the tram to get to the Peace Memorial Park. It's about 10 to 15 minutes each way. The museum is a must see.

Then enjoy eating Okonomiyaki.

3) Hiroshima 20:53--Hikari-->22:05 Hakata 22:12--limited express-->22:39 Kurume

9,840 yen (reserved)

9,080 yen (unreserved)

These trains are all covered by the JR Pass except the tram in Hiroshima.If you don't use it, buy a base fare ticket (Joshaken) from Kyoto to Kurume, then pay the limited express surcharge one by one to save some money.

For other schedules, refer to hyperdia.

www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum is open until 18:00 (until November)

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/

oregon
Level Contributor
70 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

Optimistk,

thank you for such a thoughtful reply! So much valuable information. I am thinking that it may be too important to rush and maybe I can squeeze the Hemiji castle in on a day trip from Kyoto (we have train passes) and still get back to Kyoto to explore a bit. We have 4 nights there and will be going to Nara one day so even with a daytrip to the castle we would have a day and a half in Kyoto. Not much time....but it would allow us to leave early and go straight to Hiroshima....I think it will be a very moving experience and I want my grandson to experience it. I know how deeply visiting Dachau and Auschwitz affected me.....

couple questions: In your opinion:

the castle about a half day trip (3hours?) or more?

The peace garden and museum...what is a reasonable time to expect to not rush either of them but not be pokey either? Are they together?

What is Okonomiyaki :-)))) Don't want to miss a yummy dish either. Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

As others have said, it's POSSIBLE but is it FUN?

Okay, Himeji from Kyoto...

The trip might take an hour to get from station to station. Depends if you have to do a transfer at Osaka, which might add 1/2 an hour to the deal.

Then you have a good 1/2 hour walk from the station to the Castle.

Then a couple of hours in the castle.

So that's 5 or so hours. Then you've got to get from your Hotel to the Station, and there's stopping for a bite to eat, and a peek in a few shops... for us it added up to a whole day.

Peace Garden and Museum are all in one rather large park. It's a natural flow to walk from the tram stop to the Dome, thru the park, see the Children's Memorial, then down to the Museum.

The park itself is a neat, bright, green, tree filled nice park, like you see in any city. Not the heavy feel of walking into Auschwitz at all. You could have a picnic there.

Okonomiyaki... hmmm. A Japanese savoury pancakeish thing? Veges and squid(?) stuck together in some sort of batter and fried wish some sweet bbq-like sauce squirted on top. Tasty, probably fattening.

oregon
Level Contributor
70 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

Another great piece of advice. Like a puzzle, with your help the pieces have come together for me. Thanks everyone.

Looks like Himenji is a day trip and we will go straight to Hiroshima on our way to Kurume and just have one full day in Kyoto.

Better to see a few things and appreciate what we are seeing than rush around and frantically try to do it all. I can see the castle trip is a good solid 5 hours from Kyoto and then to try to rush to Hiroshima would be madness. Thanks for helping me think this through, seemed like a good plan at first but with your help I can see it is not very practical or advisable. Happy travels to y'all. Each reply has been appreciated greatly. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort.

7. Re: Himeji castle & Hiroshima Peace mem. in 1 day-POSSIBLE??HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, September 23, 2009