We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shukubo?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
13 posts
Save Topic
shukubo?

I am looking for Shukubo within close distance to Kyoto or Nara that does not object to americans,we plan to learn whatever we can so as not to offend by our ignorance. We really want to experience the prayers & meditations as well as shojin ryori.

Because of our itinerary;(we have one day available before we go to Nara -for one night- via Kyoto, and then back to Kyoto for a few nights before returning to Tokyo)

Nara would be best but I cannot find mention of any temples offering shukubo either in Nara (or Uji, I don't know other areas between to search)

In Kyoto I've found only names of a few places but no real information, reviews or contact details.

I find copious amounts of information about Koyasan- However, we don't really have enough time to make it worthwile.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shukubo?

Read the "shukubo" threads.

I have been giving this info.

japantravelinfo.com/plan/…20Kyoto_.pdf

You may want to have a Japanese friend book for you.

One place reviewed by Frommers is:

frommers.com/destinations/kyoto/H30947.html

We stayed at Daishin-In, a Zen temple, last summer. Optional authentic Shojin Ryori is 5,000 yen & Up, though(typical). Just delicious. Single Japanese women travelers stay also.

maltesegallerie.com/supertemples/archives/20…

ny
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shukubo?

thanks. Unfortunately, I can neither speak Japanese nor write Kanji.

And I don't know anyone who does...

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shukubo?

Hello,

We've been looking for the same information. It seems that many temples require that you be accompanied by a Japanese person and that you speak Japanese yourself. I posted a message "Overnight Stay in Temple" a couple of weeks ago and someone sent me a nice list of Shukubo in Kyoto. If I can I'll send to you. And yes, seems that in Koyasan you'd have no problem. (As for us, I'm afraid we've given up.)

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shukubo?

Hello again,

Here's the reply I received from someone else...with good information about Shukubo in Kyoto.

Good Luck.

japantravelinfo.com/plan/…20Kyoto_.pdf

We stayed at Daishin-In, Zen temple with beautiful garden like Ryoan-Ji. Zen meditation at 5am, if you wish.http://www.maltesegallerie.com/supertemples/archives/2006/03/_daishinin.php

ny
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: shukubo?

I just recieved a response to a letter I wrote to Daishin-in in Kyoto. It was from "Naomi Tsuda". email: naomi-tw@zephyr.dti.ne.jp

just thought I'd pass it along.

SF
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shukubo?

Staying at a temple is not for everyone. The main business of the temple is not for tourism and many are not tourist friendly. You are their guests. The service is very basic and you are left alone, i.e. making futon bed. You need to know certain etiquette, i.e. eating, bathing, shoes, etc. like staying at any Ryokan. But the temple is old and beautiful and the experience is tremendous. You will be rewarded for your effort. Behave yourself.

P.S. Our room at Daishin-In was a typical Japanese size situated right in front of the beautiful garden(the web picture is outdated, it is now more like a small infamous Ryoanji garden). There is a communal bath & toilet(high tech) separated by gender. The room had AC and a tea table with a hot water pot, tea bags and a candy. No chair, no TV, no phone in the room. There were a few other single female travelers staying with us. Try the Shojin-Ryori. You will be delightfully surprised how tasty they are and they are made of totally vegetable.

ny
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: shukubo?

the Buddhist experience is what we are looking for, so it sounds amazing!

SF
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shukubo?

There is another shukubo list. It may be overlapping with the previous list. But includes Zazen meditation list.

http://www.kcif.or.jp/en/benri/04_08.html

It has other info., too.

9. Re: shukubo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 22, 2009