We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

Holland
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

Hi, thanks to you I now know what to do while i'm in Kyoto!

First we want to visit Golden Pavilion. I reed that I can take the subway from Kyoto station to Kitaoji station en from there take bus 205 or taxi to Golden Pavilion. What is the total travel time from Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion?

What is the best way to travel from Golden Pavilion to Kiyomizu Temple? I prefer subway.

How much is a ticket for the subway?

From Kiyomizu I want to go to Pontocho/Gion.

Thanks again!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

I rode from Kitaoji station to Kyoto station yesterday. I don't remember exactly what it cost, but it was probably around 230 yen. Most subway rides in Osaka and Kyoto seem to be in the 200-250 yen range.

I think the bus from the Golden Pavilion (I'm assuming you're talking about Kinkaku-ji) to Kitaoji takes 10-15 minutes, not counting time spent waiting for the bus. The ride from Kitaoji to Kyoto Station was probably another 15 minutes, not counting waiting for the train. I went from the Golden Pavilion to Kyoto Station, and I think the total time might have been just under an hour, which includes time waiting for the bus and train.

From Kitaoji, you might want to go through Pontocho/Gion before you go to Kiyomizu. At least according to the Kyoto map I'm looking at. From Kitaoji, take the Karasuma subway line to the Shijo station, and transfer to the Hankyu/Kyoto line. (There's also a Keihan Shijo station. Don't get them mixed up.) Then go one stop east to the Hankyu Tawaramachi terminal. From there, walk a few blocks east over the Shijo bridge, and you'll be in Gion. I'm not sure what the borders of Pontocho are, but I know it's right next to Gion. From Gion, you can walk to Kiyomizu. It's not too far, and there's no subway between the two, anyway. I walked from Kiyomizu through Gion easily.

If you want to visit other places in Kyoto, you might look into buying a 500 yen all-day bus pass. I didn't do that the first day, but I learned my lesson, and did it the second day. The subway system doesn't really doesn't get you that close to all the different sites in Kyoto, so Kyoto came up with a set of RAKU buses that run in loops near the sites.

I'd also recommend the Inari shrine, if you have the time.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

You don't need to go up to Kitaoji on the subway to hit Golden Pavilion; a lot of repeat tourists wanting to go from JR Kyoto to Kinkakuji are in the habit of taking Raku Bus 101, which is a sorta express. I suppose that's faster compared to the combination of the subway and the bus doing the Kitaoji-Kinkakuji leg. If you're pressed for time, there's one other option to consider, barring the use of a long cab ride from JR Kyoto: switch to another JR Line called Sagano / Sanin at JR Kyoto, get off at Enmachi Station, and take a cab from there so you can cut the whole leg shorter and thus end up paing far less for the cab fare. That said, that is up to the train schedule on that JR line.

Hitting it to Golden Pavilion takes roughly 30min on weekdays if you catch Raku Bus101 from JR Kyoto, I guess. Not that time-consuming, eh? For the back leg to Kiyomizu, I suggest taking another Raku bus, which is 102, from Kinkakuji-michi, the second nearest bus stop from Golden Pavilion, and with which you will be able to feel a bit familiar because you've already alighted here for the in-coming leg. The destination on Raku Bus 102 is the station called Hyakumanben, which serves as a gateway to Silver Pavilion. From Hyakumanben, switch to a local bus 202 (or 206) bound for JR Kyoto Station. Yes, you gotta get off at a bus stop called Kiyomizu-michi and from here walk all the way up to Kiyomizu Temple.

For Gion / Pontocho Alley, you are to get back north from the temple though granite-studded chic lanes leading to Maruyama Park / Kodaiji temple / Yasaka Shrine. When you've done with them lanes, you can still see a granite-studded worshippers' lane running straight and flanked by ryokans and souvenir shops / restaurants. If you follow it, you'll soon come to find, on your-left-hand side of the lane, an often-craved-about ryokan called Motonago. Take a left there and walk through a narrow, 50 to 60 meter-long, road and then take a right at the end. The wooden gate to Yasaka Shrine stands right over there, with Ryokan Hatanaka located on your right-hand side. Go through that gate and take a left at the old wooden Japanese temple-like building where worshippers clap their hands in silent prayer after clanging the gong. No, you can't miss it. When you look at the way they do their ritual: the gong and the money-throwing thing, you'll know what I mean. There's still a white sheet covered over the tunnel area leading to the front gate, I guess. So use that as kinda like a landmark. When you get out of the tunnel, you'll be right on a large intersection, which is on the east side of Gion. From here, walk on fun-giving Shijo Street en-route Hanamikoji Strip, and you'll find Shijo Bridge before you in about 5-7min. Pontocho is located over the bridge on your right. BTW, you might as well explore the very Kyoto-some Shirakawa area in Gion and also ramble along Kiyamachi Street as well for your return leg.

Hope you'll have a blast. Enjoy your stay.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

From Kyoto Station to Golden Pavillion : 15mins Taxis.....found taxis to be inexpensive compared to other countries.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

I did the leg today from Golden Pavilion to JR Kyoto. It was a good 40min bus ride, which was on 205, though. It snowed as hard as when you needed an umbrella for the other type of the element while I was in that place, so I decided to cut my stay a lot shorter than I'd ever done. Normally, the contrast between white and gold was something you could all bargain for on a day like this. Yes, I saw it; yet,it was no match compared to what you'd get on a clear day right after snowfall.

My in-coming bus, which was Raku Bus102 running between Silver and Gold, as I came up to Kyoto riding a Keihan express from Yodoyabashi Osaka to Demachiyanagi Kyoto, was a bit less crowded than 205, the one I got to go down to JR Kyoto for my backleg to Nara. Matter of fact, I didn't expect at all to ride crowded buses today. For one thing, I didn't know Kitano Temmagu Shrine has already started to hold Ume(plum) Festival; for another, I didn't expect too many visitors to Golden Pavilion, either. But, yes, snow had already let up in Osaka when I departed for Kyoto. Gotta be the same what everyone else has in mind for the snow-shrouded picturesque site... Heard several different languages there. They must have been put into this way: piercingly cold, or "sah-moo-yee!"

Inexpensive umbrellas for sale at a souvenir shop right on the boulevard were going like hotcakes. Yes, I joined them to buy one.

5. Re: Kyoto station to Golden Pavilion travel time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 20, 2009