We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food in Kyoto

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
2 posts
Save Topic
food in Kyoto

can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Kyoto? I will be travelling with my 4 year old daughter at end Nov and would like to be armed with a few ideas....

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food in Kyoto

What are your budget and preferences (cuisine, location, ambience...etc.)? Kyoto offers a wide range of dining options, from bank-breaking exquisite multi-course kaiseki meals to quick-but-tasty ramen.

Note that, just like in Europe, at high-end restaurants, your young kid may not be welcome.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: food in Kyoto

Hi Saba4

Have 2 daughters and have recently returned from Japan. There are restaurants and eateries everywhere along the streets...you will always have access to food however i do understand that children can be fussy eaters at particular ages. My children loved all their food experiences in Japan but we made sure we started them off with basics like steamed rice , miso soup, noodles and meats familiar to them such as chicken or pork then we moved onto the different sushi and sashimi experiences. As a last food resort there is always Mcdonalds or the 7-11 grocery stores. Japanese bread is absolutely delicious and watch out for the lollies/sweets....

Enjoy!

Oz
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: food in Kyoto

Hi again,

Nothing to do with food...there is a zoo in Kyoto which would be great for you and your daughter....couple of rides for under 10's and petting zoo as well as enclosures...we stumbled upon it accidentally in our travels. Kyoto Imperial Palace Park has a little running creek where the kids can take off shoes and paddle (ankle deep) and if you walk over to the small bridge you can feed the carp and turtles in the lake. ...remember to take some bikkies or bread.

bye

london
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: food in Kyoto

great, thanks for the advice. Our budget is reasonable, some nice ramen places and some mid range would be good - not sure bank breaking feasts are appropriate - although we will be in Tokyo as well for a week at end of November so any great restaurants there would be handy, as we will be pushing the boat out at least once i hope!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: food in Kyoto

If you come around the Shijo area, you might as well drop in at the restaurant mall located on the 7th floor of Takashimaya Depearment Store. Every Japanese department store has that kind of child-friendly space catering foods, but Takasimaya's is a bit high-end and by far better than most others.' If you come for lunch(open at 11am), you'll save a lot.

One other thing that is good about Takashimaya is that there's a "Grand Hall" on the same floor, where Japanese art is usually featured. They're now exhibiting works by Hokusai, incidentally. Not sure who's going to be featured next month, but if you are interested, do visit it: Y800 for adults, gratis for little people.

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
667 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food in Kyoto

This link has some places in Kyoto that were posted for me.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k1151…

I think that your 4 year old may love Ten Ichi. When I was little, Tempura was the first thing I had that was Japanese. There are other places noted. Most are around the Kyoto station.

7. Re: food in Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 12, 2009