We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one full day on Dec 3rd

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
one full day on Dec 3rd

Will be arriving on Sunday Dec 2 in late afternoon and leave Tuesday

Dec 4. I have so many questions

Are there any festivals during this time?

Will weather be tolerable for walking?

Best way to see a geisha in the Gion district

Definitely want to see Golden Pavilion and Kiyomizudera Temple -

what is the best way to see these on Monday Dec 3? I have read in a previous thread about hiring a taxi - but we dont speak Japanese

Hotel accomodations? Granvia may be too pricey - any good web sites to get a discount? What about Gion Hotel? Think we would prefer

more traditional Japanese area than western style

I apologize for so many questions but this was the first place to start my research

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,541 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one full day on Dec 3rd

This web site might answer some of your questions - http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/visitkyoto/en/

For hotels - http://www.asiatravel.com/index.html

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one full day on Dec 3rd

<Will weather be tolerable for walking?>

Maybe, yes.

<Best way to see a geisha in the Gion district>

The best possible way of doing that is to visit Gion Corner, where traditional performances are held nightly. Fees apply, though. If you explore the area flanked by the Kamo River and Hanamikoji Street, you may encounter one or two even during the daytime.

<Definitely want to see Golden Pavilion and Kiyomizudera Temple -

what is the best way to see these on Monday Dec 3?>

Cost-wise, you may like to use public transportation. City buses cover almost all the spots in central kyoto. The problem is whether or not you'll have a good access to specific lines. Depends on where you stay, but sometimes you may find it necessary to combine buses with subways.

<I have read in a previous thread about hiring a taxi - but we dont speak Japanese>

That's ok. Carry a memo-pad, write down the name of the place you visit in block letters, and show it to the driver.

<Hotel accomodations? Granvia may be too pricey - any good web sites to get a discount? What about Gion Hotel? Think we would prefer more traditional Japanese area than western style>

Gion Hotel is run by Apa, a big business-type hotel chain; the location is quite good; in here you may have to settle for a smaller room, though. It's located on the busy street, but traditional / historic places are within easy reach from here. One block across from the boulevard, you'll have a comfy ambience.

mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one full day on Dec 3rd

Dave 148 and Shot

Thank you both for the information. I will check further into both of your suggestions

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one full day on Dec 3rd

Many taxi drivers will recognize the name of your destination if you say it carefully. Also, get maps from JNTO, they are in English and Japanese. You can point to your destination on the map and the driver can read the Japanese.

Golden Pavillion and Kiyomizudera are on opposite sides of the city from each other, so you may want to find a couple of other places in each location to see. For example, visit Ryoanji and Kinkakuji (Golden Pavillion) in the morning and Kiyomizudera and Gion in the afternoon/evening.

On the JNTO web site you can order maps sent to you at home before you leave. Just tell them where you are going and what kind of information you are interested in receiving. They will mail it to your house and it will arrive in about a week to 10 days.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/contact/index.html

I am a huge fan of the Granvia hotel, but I know it's pricey. However, it is also right there at the station, so you waste very little time getting to the hotel, checked-in and off to site see. No lugging baggage around the city!