We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours to temples by bus

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
252 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Tours to temples by bus

"A great idea is to take bus tours which are sold out in front of the Kyoto Station. For around 5000 yen, or $50, you can take tours that travel all around the city stopping at the key temples in the area."

Which buscompanies would you advice?

Do you have experience with any, any advice?

Thanks!

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
252 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours to temples by bus

I found this:

100 RAKU Bus

To Higashiyama, Heian Shrine, Ginkakuji Temple

(East route): From Kyoto Station the bus goes to the Higashiyama area such as Sanjusangen-do Temple, Kiyomizu-dera Temple and Yasaka-jinja Shrine. Then, it goes to the Okazaki area such as Heian-jingu Shrine, Eikan-do Temple and Nazen-ji Temple and goes to Ginkaku-ji Temple. Then it comes back to Kyoto Station.

101 bus:

To Nijo Castle, Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine, Kinakaku-ji Temple

(Central route): From Kyoto Station the bus goes to Nijo Castle, Horikawa Imadegawa where Nishijin Textile Center is located, Kitano Tenmangu Shrine, Kinakaku-ji Temple and Daikoku-ji Temple. It finally goes to Kitano Tenman- gu Shrine, Kinkaku-ji Temple and Daitoku-ji Temple. It finally goes to Kitao-ji Bus Terminal and then comes back to Kyoto Station. At Kitano Hakubai-cho, Bus Route 101 connects to the Keifuku Railway bound for Arashiyama.

102 bus

To Ginkaku-ji-Kinkaku-ji Temple, Daitoku-ji Temple

(North route) From Ginkakuji-michi the bus goes along Imadegawa Street to Kyoto Imperial Palace, Nishijin Textile Center, Kitano Tenmangu Shrine, Kinkaku-ji Temple. It finally goes to Daitoku-ji Temple and then comes back. At Kitano Hakubai-cho, The bus connects to the Keifuku Railway bound for Arashiyama. At Demachiyanagi-eki- mae, it connects to the Eizan Rilway bound for Kurama.

is there one of these preferable?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours to temples by bus

What you described in your second post is about the municipal couch bus circulating / penetrating the central parts of Kyoto, the fare of which is 220yens except for the one going to Arashiyama. In the first post, you seem to have mentioned tour buses run in the joint operation by City Government and Keihan Bus Company... Yes, they are on the luxury side, both interms of fare and of comfort.

FYI, Raku Bus is the name of the municipal (express) couch routinely skipping small stops, running on the same route with its slower brothers.

If you're ok with a non-English speaking tour guide, and also if there's a tour available that can take you to places you wish to visit, you may possibly like to take it. Have no direct experience on my part, but the way I see it, the sightseeing tours focuse on area-by-area highlights, with one spot or two covered per area. That's fine, but most, if not all, of them can be made on your own with a bit of an adventurous mind...

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
252 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours to temples by bus

do you have more information about the tours offered by the Keihan Bus Company?

i have very limited time, so exploring them by myself would not be my first option.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
252 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours to temples by bus

and the RAKU one, does it work like the hop on/hop off sightseeing busses you see in many major towns, or is it really a tour bus and does it wait while the passengers get out and visit the sight?

Fukuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
880 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours to temples by bus

I'll post English leaflet of regular tour buses.

kyototeikikanko.gr.jp/digibook/…book289.html

Info on this leaflet is stated to be valid until the end of September but I believe that basic tours, such as, half-day tour, will stay in October and onward.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours to temples by bus

Raku Bus is intended as a "hop on and off" bus mainly for tourists. See the one on line101 going to Golden Pavilion:

image-search.yahoo.co.jp/detail…

The rate is the same as that of ordinary buses.

7. Re: Tours to temples by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 08, 2009