We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR pass or Day ticket

Sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
JR pass or Day ticket

would be more economical to purchase a JR pass? i will be in osaka 3N and kyoto 3N and possibly go to nara for a day trip. i will be stayng close to shinsaibashi in Osaka and Karasuma in kyoto and i believe both are not served by JR. would it be better to get a day pass that would serve both JR and subways?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JR pass or Day ticket

I suppose it's better for you to go without a JR (West) Pass (and / or Kansai Thru Pass / Kansai Passport) so you won't overpay. The reason I said so is because there's no pass covering the JR and subway ride for more than one day. For the transportation both in Osaka and in Kyoto, there's more than one type of non-JR passes for unlimited use on the subway etc, but you'll find it hard just to break even, unless, of course, you ride them oftener than you'd want.

Just for the convenience sake, you may like to consider buying an ICOCA, a pre-paid refundable IC card you can use for both the Osaka / Kyoto subway and the JR trains. See what it looks like in here:

www.jr-odekake.net/guide/icoca/what.html

(scroll down and see the one on left-hand side in the middle)

An ICOCA worth Y2000(recharge-able) can be purchased at a vending machine located in almost all the JR Stations in and around Osaka / Kyoto. When you leave, you can get back the 500yen deposit plus the unused portion at a ticket booking / selling office in JR stations. You'd get charged Y210 for doing that, though.

One more thing, you can make use of a day pass, if you like, for 500yens to do the sights in Kyoto by bus. Enjoy your stay.

Sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: JR pass or Day ticket

thanks shot, i really dont want to spend more on transport than i have to, appreciate very much your thoughts and will take your advice.

3. Re: JR pass or Day ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 03, 2009