We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto in January

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto in January

I read there are festivals during January eg Shichi Fukujin Pilgrimage The Shichi-fukujin ( Seven Gods of Good Luck ), Seijin-no-hi (Coming-of-age Day), Hatsu Ebisu Festival, Hosha-sai (Festival of the Bow).

Will be travelling to Kyoto 8-12 January. I notice some of the websites for hotel bookings do not have availability already. Do I need to book now to ensure a room?

Is this a busy time in Kyoto.? Is this a good time to visit or do I choose another city?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto in January

hi! i don't think that's a busy time. It's a pretty good time to visit the temples and do the new year's prayer. enjoy!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto in January

<Will be travelling to Kyoto 8-12 January. I notice some of the websites for hotel bookings do not have availability already. >

It's just that their on-line website are so made... Depends on hotels, but in many, if not most, cases, they can't take guests on-line more than 2 months ahead of the check-in date.

After the New Year's holiday in January, Kyoto is in a low-season like many other cities. To be honest, it's usually a bit (too)cold to tour around places. The lows are maybe zero to seven in Centigrade. But when it snows, though it rarely does and heaven knows when, you'll have artistic views popping around in Golden Pavilion, Nanzenji, Ginkakuji, Kodaiji, Sanzenin, Arashiyama and etc... Fortuitous as it may, it's really a wow. But even without snow, you sure can enjoy your stay. Yep, Kyoto never takes a break on tourists.

3. Re: Kyoto in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 05, 2009