We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Morning Flight

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Early Morning Flight

We are considering flying back to Tokyo from Kyoto in October. I know both Kansai and Itami are over an hour from Kyoto, and I'm wondering:

1) Which airport is logistically easiest to get to from Kyoto Station?

2) How much time will we need for check in and security for a domestic flight? I want to book an early flight, but we are not exactly morning people. (I assume the process is at least somewhat less onerous than it is in the US...)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
6 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,895 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Morning Flight

2) check-in deadline is ~ 20 minutes before departure for a purely domestic itinerary

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Morning Flight

Itami is closer. Limo bus is quite easy, because it takes you very close to the entrance to the check-in counters. Luggage rides under the bus and the bus guys load and unload it for you. As noted above, check-in deadline is 20 minutes before departure, but I'd recommend 45 minutes ahead.

Why don't you take the shinkansen?

Edited: 7:14 pm, June 12, 2018
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Morning Flight

Thanks!

Initially, we were thinking we might be able to save a bit of time flying, but based on travel time to the airport, the time saved would be negligible. (My husband wants to save a little money, but honestly, I don't think the minimal savings is worth the hassle.) If he insists, I'll let HIM fly, and I'll take the shinkansen!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54,012 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Morning Flight

Central city to central city - shinkansen is best. You also need to take the cost of ground travel to/from the airports and time needed at both ends.

Will your proposed itinerary, make a JR pass a good value?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Morning Flight

>>Will your proposed itinerary, make a JR pass a good value?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I did the math and we're just below where it would be worthwhile. If we added another city, it probably would be, but the last time my husband and I were in Japan, we packed our schedule too tightly and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Mentioned in this post
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Morning Flight

You haven't said your full schedule, so maybe this won't apply. There is a discount shinkansen ticket available for tourists, but it's round-trip between Tokyo and Kyoto.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Early Morning Flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted