We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Hello! I'd like to visit Ginkaku-ji, and then walk south to Nanzen-ji.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to take a bus (and if so, which number bus) from Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji?

Alternatively, how long would it take to walk, or how much would a taxi cost?

Would it be better (or possible) to take a bus from Keage Station (and which number would that be)?

I'm trying to avoid slow, crowded buses the first week of April. I'd like to take the subway as far as I can, then the shortest bus ride. I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide some advice--thanks!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

No bus goes directly to / from Ginkakuji from Karasuma-Imadegawa. The distance to be covered is 3.7km, so you should spare the trouble of trying to walk it. My advice is, hit subway Keage, which is pronounced like Ke(t)-ah-ge(t), on Tozai Line and walk from here down to Nanzenji temple along Keage Incline, one of the greatest venues for sakura in Kyoto. There's Eikando Hall(Temple) and its beautiful garden adjacent to Nanzenji, so if you are into Japanese gardens, you sure can enjoy what that garden has to offer.

People often hit it to the farthest end of the precincts in Nanzenji and then traverse from there to Eikando, but if you get out of the worshippers' lane upon entering the tall wooden gate in the direction of the black wooden walls (to a famous tofu restaurant) on the left-hand side and walk further along the road, you'll come to see a couple of beautiful cherry trees at Nomura Art Museum. Eikando is just ahead on your right-hand side from there.

If you skip Eikando and take a right at the corner where the gate to Eikando Stands, there's a road leading to Nyakuoji Shrine, on the side of which Philosopher's Walk starts. It's a 1.7 to 1.8km walk. There's a canal running parallel to the granit-studded lane and sakura will be just gorgeous. At the end of the walk, you'll come to a short bridge over the canal, and if you cross it, you'll find a cluster of souvenir shops / cafes / restaurants on either side of the street. Touristy though one may call it, I like as much about the area as in Kiyomizu.

Have a blast.

US
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Shot-san, thank you, as always, for your wonderful and detailed advice. We will be sure to walk the Keage Incline and Philosopher's Path--they sound beautiful!

We would like to visit all of the following on the same day:

Ginkaku-ji

Philosopher's Path

Nanzen-ji

Heian Shrine

Maruyama Park

Do you have any recommendations as to the most efficient itinerary/route? I thought we'd start at Ginkaku-ji, walk down the Path to Nanzen-ji, then over to Heian Shrine (not sure of the distance here), then down to Maruyama Park (again, not sure if this is a walkable distance).

Alternatively, we can start at Nanzen-ji, walk up to Ginkaku-ji, then circle back down to Heian Shrine along Shirakawa-Dori (is Shirakawa-Dori a nice road to walk?) Do you know the approx. distance between Ginkaku-ji and Heian Shrine, and between Heian Shrine and Maruyama Park?

We are fit, and like to walk, but I am wondering if this is too ambitious... We may have to throw in a taxi or bus ride somewhere along the route!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Seems like you've got to know quite well the locations of places in upper central Kyoto. It sounds nice what you have in mind for your day1(?) itinerary there. You're going to cover the Higashiyama corridor in one of the best times of the year and I think that's great.

The distance between Ginkakuji and Heian Shrine is 2.8km and that between Heian Shrine and Maruyaka Park is 1.2km. Now you've put the names of the places on the list, a good scheme per se, let me attach a number to each like this: 1)Maruyama Park, 2)Heian Shrine, 3)Nanzenji and 4)Ginkakuji; yes, my advice is that, instead of whirling around, you hit it from #1 to #2 to #3 to #4. By setting your priorities in that order, maybe you don't feel the need to throw in the towel, resorting to a cab / bus ride along the way.

Besides, Maruyama Park is more accessible than Ginkakuji, unless you stay somewhere in upper central Kyoto; more importantly, in case you have an easy access to Subway Karasuma Line from your accommodation, you can make do without infamous rides in buses during the sakura season when going to that park. Walking here, via Kawaramachi / Gion on Shijo Street, from Subway Shijo Station will afford you pleasure, I suppose.

As for Shirakawa Street, it's not a big deal walking along it. There's three routes taken when you go from Nanzenji to Ginkakuji, or when making it the other way around: 1)Philosopher's Lane, 2)Shishigatani Street and 3)Shirakawa Street. I guess 99.5 percent of the tourists will choose to take #1, but 0.5 percent of them should possibly like to hit it on #2, (which is flanked by #1 and #3), where white-walled Japanese-style warehouses located near Eikando Hall are a reminder of the good old days in Kyoto.

Enjoy your time.

US
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Domo arigato gozaimasu! I appreciate the advice on our day 1 itinerary...it sounds like a great, walkable plan. I'm really looking forward to seeing Kyoto!

US
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Shot, I am just back from Japan and wanted to thank you again for all your advice!

We spent April 5-7 in Kyoto, and the cherry trees were in full bloom; the timing was perfect! I have to say that nothing prepares you for your first sight of sakura in Japan. I am not a particularly emotional person, but the sheer beauty of it nearly brought me to tears.

I really appreciate your kindness in answering my pre-trip questions, and hope you also had ample time to enjoy this beautiful season!

US
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

Just copied my previous post over to the sakura thread, where it's more appropriate and you're more likely to see it!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

IT06,

My heartfelt thanks for your comment. I'll jump to that thread.

8. Re: Imadegawa station to Ginkaku-ji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 30, 2009