We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around in Kyoto in two days

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling around in Kyoto in two days

We only have two days in Kyoto to view the sites. Is it easy to walk around to the different areas? Its always hard to figure out the distance between areas.

Is it possible to see enough of Kyoto in 2 days or should we get a tour? we arent really tour people but we are worried we wont have enough time to see everything on our own?

Thanks

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling around in Kyoto in two days

It's pretty big, we took a bus from the station area to the start of the 'Philosophers Path' and it was a really long way. We walked Philosophers Path and then on to Gion, which took most of the day, although we were just dawdling and enjoying it rather than really trying to get anywhere.

The tourist info in the station are v.good for telling you which bus to get etc.

I think we were there for 3 nights and felt we'd seen quite a bit. In that time we did the philosophers path (really pretty, would recommend... got various temples etc along it), Gion, wandered through (read 'got totally lost in') a bamboo forest, went to a couple of temples.

Depends what you're into i guess. There are LOTS of temples to see, we weren't that into all that, so a short time was ok for us.

I think if you decide what you want to see in advance you'll be fine without a tour.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling around in Kyoto in two days

Walk-able spots are not large in number, but if you visit sites people often hit it to like 1)Kiyomizu, 2)Golden Pavilion, or 3)Ginkakuji, you'll know you can walk it from there to different places of interest. If you extend your trip to the suburbs of central Kyoto, say, to the Sagano or Ohara area, you'll also find temples / shrines located pretty close to each other. Visit the following link:

http://www.jref.com/practical/kyoto.shtml

(scroll down until you have a map in view)

Given the number of days you spend in Kyoto, maybe you like to head for as many places as you can. Tour buses are available (outside JR Kyoto), but in most cases they set their sights on Japanese people, I think. During the peak season, they are constantly on the go, it seems, to beat the clock on scheduled assignments. But that's exactly what people want from them to make the most of their trip. To them, punctuality is a greatest virtue and that's where I wouldn't quite fancy joining them.

The advice for you is, if I can call it that at all, you put top priority on the quality of your style in traveling, not on the number of temples / shrines you cover. That said, I know a lot of first-timers try to make it for Kiyomizu, Golden Pavilion and Ginkakuji and I think every one of them is really worth their time. Coming all the way through Philosopher's Lane from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji Eikando sure looks great particularly when cherry trees start to come blossoming. If you are into the Japanese garden, you may like to add in Shisendo Hall and Ohkochi Villa, I should say.

Enjoy your stay.

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling around in Kyoto in two days

thanks to both of you for the input - it is appreciated!

4. Re: Traveling around in Kyoto in two days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, August 28, 2009