We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Which Kobe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Arima Toy and Automata Museum will be open on 6th August 2013? I read a few website, some said it will be closed on Tuesdays and some said Wenesdays and its original official website is in Japanese.

I plan to visit there after our bath at Arima Onsen.

Hadano, Japan
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Rest is Irregular.

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Thank you for the information and link Haro1210

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Hi, Travelmania2013.

I am planning our family trip this Dec. Can you share with me your visit to Arima Toy and Automata Museum, is it worthwhile going?

Where did you stay at Arima Onsen? Some places look nice in website but rather pricy.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Hi chanlil,

Mostly, it depends on your child/children's age. Most of the toys there are only for display and not for playing purposes. These are nice and functional toys that were built with a purpose (by the Germans). They have staff to demo how some of these toys work to function. So, in order to appreciate the toys and its functionality, one need to understand how it works and why it was build in the first place, ages ago. So, for this purpose, I think children of primary school age and up will be able to grasp it.

My child is 4 years old. He is not interested to sit and listen to these demo for long. He is much more interested to push and pull buttons, turn knobs and play blocks (Level 3, I think, a play area dedicated for toddler and pre-schooler).

They have 5 to 6 floors of toys display, spent around 10 mins each with exception to level 3. All in all, spent about an hour (if you have toddler). Can't really remember how much we pay. Ranging from 800yen to 500y by showing your passport.

If you have time and don't mind paying, it is a good place to go with children after Arima onsen before you head to Kobe. Though short, we had a great time there.

So, I hope this help but I would say if your child is under 3 or above 12, skip this.

As for Arima Onsen, we did a day trip only. Yes, most of the baths there are rather pricey as the quality of their spring water are really good. I have shortlisted 3, but at the end we chose Arima Grand Hotel. We chose their private bath in their private room with lunch ( a fine dining japanese meal), around a 3 hour affair for around RM600. The hotel was really big and clean and nice landscapping too. They provide shuttle service if you call. Too bad we didn't spent much time there.

So, I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information, I'll be happy to help. By the way, where are you travelling from to Arima Onsen? Are you on your own or follow a tour?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Hi, Travelmania2013

Thanks for the useful info. My 8-year old boy is keen to visit Arima Toy and his teenage brother doesn't mind. Let's see how it goes. Was the demo by staff in English, otherwise my boy will not understand the explanation?

We are going on our own (Dec 19 - 27) and not joining tour. Planning to spend day 1 at Universal Studio Osaka then take a bus to Arima Onsen. So I thought it would save some travel time to stay overnight but if it is too pricy to do that, I would consider making a day-trip like you.

Our next stop is Kyoto for 2 nights then return to Osaka for 1 night before flying back. Any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

The demo were mostly in Japanese. This is a small scale tourist attraction, kind of like a family run business, so they hardly speak English. Anyway, if you don't bother much about its history and origin,, one will be able to see and understand how these toys work once they demo it, but of course it will be much better if you can the whole picture.

By the way, there is a free small public foot bath just outside the toy museum, so if your eldest son is not so keen to see toys, he can soak his feet while waiting outside the museum!...if there is not too many people that is...

We would definitely stay the night if we had not booked and confirmed our hotel booking in Osaka way earlier. Frankly speaking, it is better if you can stay a night there or in Kobe(slight cheaper) and only 30 minutes by train from Arima onsen. I find it a bit rush doing day trip. We depart Osaka around 9.30am and by the time we depart toy museum, it is already past 3pm. We had to forgo Kobe as we will be joining the rush hour back from Kobe to Arima onsen and thereafter to Osaka if not. There goes my kobe beef...so so near yet missed it..kinda regret...travelled all the way from Malaysia...kobe beef from other part of Japan doens't taste the same...that's what a lot of people say...oh well, maybe next trip then...

By the way, I hope you don;t mind me asking if you or your party speaks Japanese or you have a local friend to bring you around or you are very familiar with Kansai transport system? You are planning to buy ground tour only when you arrives based on the places and attractions you want to visit or just go to these places entirely on your own?

I am travelling now, if you want, leave me your email and I will get back to you by next week with some useful link where you can get so help.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

Hi, Travelmania2013

This is our 1st trip to Japan and none of us speak Japanese. Probably need to rely on Google translate or iTranslate.

For the transport means, I'll gather some info from family members who have been to Osaka. If you have something to share with me, it will be most appreciated.

I read about the Goodwill Guides and intend to check that out. Having said that, if it is necessary to buy a local ground package, that is also fine.

I have PM you my email contact.

Thanks so much in sharing the info.

8. Re: Arima Toy and Automata Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, September 15, 2014