We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Budapest, Hungary
4 posts
Save Topic
Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Hi All,

I will be travelling to Kobe, Japan beginning of June for a 2 week business trip with some colleagues from US and Germany. Since it is our first time there we would like to go for some sightseeing on the we - in addition to Kobe Kyoto is already on our list. Will be staying at Crowne in Kobe. Interested in receiving any general recommendation on where to eat/shop/what to see - in Kobe & around. Prices, 'good to know' infos, transportation tips etc. would be much appreciated, especially:

- How to get from Kansai airport to Crowne? I know there is a bus, but is it easy to find? None of us speaks Japanese unfortunately.

- Last night will be spending in Osaka - any Hotel recommendations close to the Airport?

- Where to buy moderate price gifts in Kobe and Kyoto?

- How to get to Kyoto?

I know a lot has been adressed already, and I am trying to read myself through the earlier posts, but thought maybe you would have some time to answer. Much appreciated in advance!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

My 2 favorite 'off the beaten path' things to do in Kobe are to wander around Kitano (the area around your hotel, to your left as you face the hotel/mountain) and do the short hiking trail to Nunobiki Waterfall (behind the Shin Kobe shinkansen). Kitano is where the foreign diplomats lived in the 19th century and it is a unique area to wander around. Nunobiki is a fairly large (for being so close to the urban world) waterfall that takes about 10-15 minutes to get to from the hotel. Your concierge should be able to point you in the right direction, though it isn't too hard. Go to the Shin Kobe shinkansen station and look for a small road that goes under the station. Follow that for a couple hundred meters. Where the road ends the trail begins. It's a loop; I suggest going to your left first. After the falls you'll come to an interesection; the trail to the right continues the loop, the one to the left heads to an overlook that has great views of the city. What I like about the trail is that, if you have time and are so inclined, you could continue on the trail past the overlook along the creek or you could take the road downhill to your right to get a feeling for a modern Japanese neighborhood (turn right at the overlook, then right again at the next road just past a school; then right again on the next main road. You'll see your hotel towering above it all).

I like the Sannomiya area as well. Sannomiya station is really the downtown of Kobe (though Kobe station has a lot to do as well, it doesn't have as much). North (uphill) of the station is the restaurant/bar area. South (downhill) is where you'll find a tremendous amount of shopping. The main shopping street (called a sho-ten-gai) runs from just south of Sannomiya station West to Motomachi station. Motomachi is where you'll find China Town. It's a small area, but the food is good. North-east of Motomachi is Ikuta Shrine, which is worth a stop if you have time; it's a good place to walk to of a morning if you find that you're awake at 6 am and need something to do.

One final possibility is a trip to Arima Onsen; you could go there of an evening after work, eat a good dinner, take a dip in a hot spring, and relax.

Here is a good link:

http://feel-kobe.jp/english/index.html

Good luck!

John W.

Budapest, Hungary
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Hi John,

Thank you so much for all the tips, I will for sure make a good use of them!

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

we stayed at that hotel while we were in kobe and LOVED it! it was so big! as for food, there is a mall literally underneath your hotel and there are a lot of yummy restaurants in it so be sure to check those places out.

we kept a blog while we were in japan, and here is the link to our first day in kobe:

…blogspot.com/2010/03/hanami-parties-and-tra…

you'll have to scroll down a bit since the first part of that day is in tokyo, but then it talks about our stay in the crown plaza, and if you keep reading other entries (day 10 and on) you can see the places we visited around kobe and took day trips to go see. osaka and kyoto aren't that far either, so you might want to check out those days as well in the blog if you want to see other fun things to do :)

good luck!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

The Oriental Hotel would be a great place for lunch one day. The Steak House there has an amazing view.

Budapest, Hungary
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Hi,

Thanks for the tips everyone, we are having a great time in this lovely city (and in the area around) - all the tips were very useful, so again- thanks a lot!!

Annamaria

Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

I hope you had a great time. Any Must See places? We are staying in Kobe after a cruise into there and wondered if 3 days is enough before going to Tokyo

Thanks Boondy

Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Did you find it easy going from Tokyo to Kobe? We will be doing the reverse on the Bullitt train I hope

Budapest, Hungary
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Hi,

There are plenty of things to see in Kobe, so it depends on what is your interest. Seriously - I think 3 days is enough to get a grasp of the city. You can go to Sannomiya and the shops and restaurants there, see China Town, and Harbor land - depends on how much you do prefer walking or not, but we did these on the same day by walking. You can always take a seat at some great restaurant and have some rest. i did not go to the Hot springs - but some colleagues of mine did, and they said it was wonderful. Also an option just to walk in the Kitano area - well, I was staying in ANA Plaza, so it was really just nearby. If you fancy the hills and hiking - Mountain Rokko, the ropeways and the waterfall is close too.

We took a 1-day trip to Himeji to see the castle- was well worth the time - we have got a wonderful 1.5 hour free guide around the castle from a guide (there are several) called Ken. If you can get him as your guide - go for it - his storytelling about the history and culture is amazing, and his english is very -very good. Shopping opportunities in Himeji are less than in Kobe, but the prices are much more reasonable - so I did most of my giftbuying here.

I did not travel to or from Tokyo, but to and from Osaka Kansai airport where we took the shitle (very good!). But we took th ebullet train to Himeji - and it was amazingly fast compared to the JR line, and very nice - so I think it is a great option to take it to (from) Tokyo too. You will find the transfers I think quite easy - recommend to take cash with you though, we had some challenges with our credit cards to be used on ticet machines sometimes. If you have a map of the train system that will highly help you to figure out which line to take where, but otherwise it is quite easily understandable.

When I arrived I took my first turn to the tourist office and gathered all kinds of maps in english - they are absolutely helpful, so if you have any special questions - you can ask it here too.

I hope you will find it useful. Kobe is a very lovely place - I got to love just in 2 weeks.

Safe travels, Annamaria

Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

Thank you so very much for such a quick reply and for all the helpful info. So glad you had a good time...it has made us very impatient for our trip. I really have no knowledge of Japan and am looking forward to all the research.

Thank you again

Boondy

10. Re: Kobe: business trip with free we- useful tips please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 17, 2010