We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitano Ijinkan Neighboorhood in Kobe

Which Kobe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Kitano Ijinkan Neighboorhood in Kobe

I will be living here later this year. If anyone has lived/visited this area please share any suggestions/tips/restaurants/grocery stores/info you have.

Thanks!

bay area
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitano Ijinkan Neighboorhood in Kobe

Hi, I live in the bay area, ca, now but I am originally from Kobe and my family lives there so visit often. Ijinkan is where the foreign families used to live in the past so have colonial style houses that have become a tourist attraction and lots of condos catered for foreigners.

Now, here is Kobe, being a metropolitan (small in size) city, has lots of foreigners that have been born and raised there like myself. There is a big Indian population so you will definitely find a lot of Indian restaurants. You will have no problem acquiring your share of American goods from the Kobe Grocers, right in the area. The area is where the Kobe Club is located, it's a members club for foreigners. Members are free to use the facility which offers a swimming pool, restaurant, and have gatherings and events year round.

The area is also a walking distance to the center of the city. Very convenient to get around. Kobe is small enough, you can practically get around easily. Ijinkan area is on top of a hill so if you choose to hop on a cab on the way back up, it's only one meter away from the center. And remember, you don't need to tip in Japan so it's a flat rate of around 650 yen.

I can go on, if there is anything more I can help with.....

I lived in Honolulu as well, so as far as Marriott or Sheraton, depends which part you want to be in WAikiki. If you are renting a car, Marriott would be no problem, even though it's on the end of Waikiki. It used to be the Hawaiian Regent Hotel until a few years ago so when the Marriott took over, they must have renovated to some extent. Sheraton has always been the Sheraton so it can be old. But the location is great! They both have great Hawaiian shows, Marriott has it indoors, Sheraton outside on the poolside, if you are interested in that sort of entertainment. I used to dance the hula so I can assure you the quality, but the long time entertainer for Marriott, Auntie Genoa Keawe passed away lately so the big one is gone there...

2. Re: Kitano Ijinkan Neighboorhood in Kobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, October 09, 2009