We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
537 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

We have JR pass and will do a day trip from Kyoto in early April. We planned to visit Peace park first then to Miyajima island and stay until sunset. I have studied the city tram map and came up with 3 routes:

1) From Hiroshima station to Peace park - tram 2 to Genbaku Dome-mae. Then return to the station to take train to Miyajima-guchi.

2) Instead of return to Hiroshima station, take line 8 to Yokogama and train to Miyajima-guchi

3) Tram directly from Dobashi station to Miyajima

Currently, I tend to go with option #3, it takes longer but avoiding waiting time at train the station, plus for me to find the right track may take longer.

Would like to hear your expert advice of what the best route.

Also, I have one question regarding the fare. I am a bit confused about the 2 fares posted on the website. 150 yen flat fare and 100 yen city on Hakushima line. Which line should I take? the 270 yen is from city to Miyajima-guchi, righ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Albi

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,905 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

Note that you'll have to pay separately for Hiroden tram as JR Pass will not work with them. About the right tracks- ask the railway staff (there should also be electric signboards showing platforms and train directions flickering in English at Hiroshima Station).

Having said that, whenever I visited Hiroshima and Miyajima in the past I've preferred to take the tram straight to Miyajimaguchi because tram is more fun (takes more time, though) !

The fare is 150 yen flat for inside the Hiroshima City zone and then adds up. To Miyajimaguchi from Hiroshima City area, the price is 270 yen at present. The fare will change after April 1, 2014 because of the increase of consumption tax from 5% to 8%. In any case, just ask the railway staff if you don't understand. People might not understand English that much but understand well the intentions of a foreign tourist going to the usual places and doing the usual things.

Hiroden tram from Hiroshima Station to Miyajimaguchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VziC2QTTEgQ

Edited: 9:38 am, March 22, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,905 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

Just take the tram No.2 linking Hiroshima Station and Miyajimaguchi via Genbaku Dome-mae stop (in front of A-Bomb). You may take the same No.2 tram from Tokamachi or Dobashi stop if you like.

Edited: 9:45 am, March 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
537 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

Yobeekool,

Thank you for a quick respond as always!

I will go with option #3, take the tram from A-Bomb to Miyajimaguchi.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

I dislike the tram in Hiroshima so much, I'd never take that from Dome-mae to Miyajima-guchi. It takes forever and stops at so many stations (plus traffic lights.) For your sanity, I highly recommend going back to Hiroshima Station and taking the JR Line.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,905 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

From Genbaku dome-mae to Miyajimaguchi, by Hiroden tram, it will take about 55 min.

From Genbaku dome-mae to Hiroshima Station by tram, it will take about 17 min. Hiroshima Station to Mitajimaguchi by JR takes 26min on JR Sanyo Line.

Hiroden tram No.2 has more frequent service than JR Sanyo Line local. Consider also the connection time at Hiroshima Station with the less frequent JR Sanyo Line train.

I would still recommend taking the tram, although I can understand how Shibuyakko feels.

Edited: 11:16 pm, March 22, 2014
6. Re: Tram/Train options:Station- Peace park to Miyajima-guchi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, March 24, 2015