We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or bus

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Topic
train or bus

Sorry but I am confused. On Nov 9th in the morning, I would like to get from Hiroshima to Izumo . I am looking at a bus.. that would get me there in 3 hours ? and yet a shinkansen would take 4 hours ?? Is that because the bus route is a more direct route?? Please advise. I

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train or bus

Bus is faster from Hiroshima to Izumo Taisha Shrine (about 3 hours indeed). The Shinkansen high speed trains don't run to the San-in Region, the northern coasts of Chugoku (Shimane, Tottori, ). By train it would probably mean changing at Okayama from Shinkansen to the old pendolino tilting train on conventional tracks that rarely allows Ltd Exp trains to go over 85km.

translate.google.com/translate…

Edited: 11:33 pm, July 07, 2013
Matsue, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train or bus

A bus would be your best option, as it is more direct. Furthermore, a new highway recently opened between Hiroshima and Shimane prefectures, so that should help. This is what I do between Matsue and Hiroshima on the Hiroden and Ichibata companies ("Grand Arrow," between the Hiroshima Bus Center and Matsue JR and Ichibata Shinjiko Onsen Station). Ichibata has a service going to Izumo called "Mikoto". www.ichibata.co.jp/bus/highway/hirosima2.html

Buses leave from the JR station (by the Shinkansen exit) or from the Hiroshima Bus Center (closer to the peace park), and while a few of them will go all the way to Izumo Taisha, most of them terminate at Izumo Station.

It will take a few hours to get to and from Hiroshima, so if you can afford to take two days instead of one long day trip, it would be easy to see the major sites between both Izumo and Matsue. The JR runs between the two cities on the south side of Lake Shinji, and the Ichibata railway (starting at Izumo Taisha) runs on the north side.

honolulu
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train or bus

Very good advice. Thank you! I definitely will take the bus.

4. Re: train or bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 11, 2014