We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshima tour

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hiroshima tour

Good day to everyone. I am thinking of having a 4-day-3 night stay at Hiroshima followed by a 2-day-1-night stay at Miyajima island for me and my wife. For our stay in Hiroshima, other than the Peace Park and the Museum, what are other places worth visiting in the city itself, or in the Hiroshima region as day trips? We're not particularly keen with spending a whole day in a shopping mall, and will prefer places with good scenery or fresh seafood. I am wondering whether I am spending too long a time in Hiroshima.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,893 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiroshima tour

>>I am thinking of having a 4-day-3 night stay at Hiroshima followed by a 2-day-1-night stay at Miyajima island for me and my wife.<<

That's entirely way too long. 2 nights in Hiroshima/Miyajima is enough. Go to more exciting regions such as Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe Nara) and/or Tokyo.

If Tokyo and Kansai are already included in your itinerary, consider Kyushu or Shikoku.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiroshima tour

Too long? You know it all depends on what your looking for, right?

Excitement? Sure there's no Disneyland in Hiroshima but I can't fathom why people need excitement of that order. I keep telling people to slow down, what's with all this rushing all over Japan ticking off cities? You're not on the Amazing Race. Everyone is different. I could find plenty to fill my days & nights in Hiroshima.

I've been to Miyajima several times, both camping and ryokan for several days at a time. I enjoyed relaxing, walking and seeing the animals. I even went to the beach. Staying overnight is wonderful - seeing the Shrine & Tori lit up but also the critters that come out to play. I got to see real tanuki. If it's festival time it may be an additional bonus.

Hiroshima has a lovely Japanese garden called Shukkeien in the city that's often overlooked by foreign visitors. The city has a Museum of Art and also an excellent Museum of Contemporary Art.

Further out from the city the natural environment offers beautiful Sandankyo Valley and Taishaku- kyo go to the JNTO website for access info.

There is also ryokan Sekitei outside of the city where they have an onsen & a lovely garden & you can have lunch (you don't have to stay overnight.)

The city has great nightlife & good bars & restaurants.

You can also do day trips to Iwakuni, Onomichi or even Kurashiki all picturesque old towns & relatively easy to get to.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiroshima tour

You could visit Iwakuni.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiroshima tour

I like Hiroshima very much, but I agree that 3-4 days might be a bit long, if your stay in Japan is limited to a few weeks. I think if you'll visit the park and the museum, eat lunch or dinner at okonomiyaki village, then visit MIyajima, there aren't so many things to do left. I have been to the art museum and the castle, which were mildly interesting. I would recommend spending an extra day in Kyoto or Nara instead, though, going to perhaps Ohara Sanzen-in or Horyuji.

Iwakuni is so-so in my opinion. Kurashiki is a better place to visit, and Shikoku is also recommended.

Edited: 7:54 pm, May 03, 2012
5. Re: Hiroshima tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 22, 2013