We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo to Hiroshima and Miyajima and Kobe

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo to Hiroshima and Miyajima and Kobe

My family is planning to vist Hiroshima and Miyajima then Kobe travelling from Tokyo. We are thinking of a 3-4 days trip but not sure what is the best itinerary for such combination. Should be go straight to Hiroshima first then back to Tokyo from Kobe? or should it be the other way around? Is Osaka a better base to do this journey? What types of transporation are available? I would appreciate any help or ideas that I can get.

Thanks.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo to Hiroshima and Miyajima and Kobe

To me, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two options if you ride bullet trains out and in. On a side note though and sorry am not sure if you like oysters, but if you do, Hiroshima/Miyajima is the ultimate place to go in winter, as I understand it. It's a toss-up whether to choose Kobe or Osaka as your base. If you tend to be happier in the vivacious and somewhat chaotic feel pertaining to big cities, then you'll opt for Osaka; if city-chicness attracts you more instead, then for Kobe. But that'd be me only...

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,892 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo to Hiroshima and Miyajima and Kobe

If you're planning to visit Hiroshima and Kobe, you should definitely base yourself in Osaka. Osaka to Hiroshima is only ~80 minutes by the Bullet train and Osaka to Kobe is about 30 minutes by a regular train.

If you haven't been to Tokyo, it shouldn't be missed. Osaka to Tokyo is only 2.5 hours by the Bullet train, so you can see all places you mention in 5-6 days.

For Osaka, Hiroshima and Kobe trip, the JR West Sanyo Area Pass is a good deal:

westjr.co.jp/english/travel-information/pass/

If you include Tokyo, get a 7 Day JR Pass:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Have you been to Kyoto, by the away? Just curious.

3. Re: Tokyo to Hiroshima and Miyajima and Kobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, June 17, 2013