We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

We arrive in port by ship on March 27th, 2012. With only 3.5 hours for sightseeing, thought we would visit the Peace Memorial Park and Atom Bomb museum.

I see we can get the green tram from the port into Hiroshima Station and then it is a 10 minute walk from there, but would probably spend an hour working out exactly where, so probably better to get a taxi from station.

Is this correct?

Is this plan reasonable in the time available?

Then I make matters worse and see that we need to get a ferry across the river, so now I am quite confused.

I really need help on this, it is doing my head in.

My husband says he can see we will miss the ship, but plan B could be a 3 hour train trip to Nagasaki the last port to visit though I hope this will not be necessary.

Would love some guidance on this, thanks for any help.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

"...would probably spend an hour working out exactly where"

I would imagine things would be well signposted, in English. If you're worried, use Google Street View to familiarize yourself with the route from the tram stop. Tram No. 3 will take you directly to the peace park stop. See

hiroden.co.jp/train/rosenzu/streetcar_map.htm

for details.

The ferry is confusing. You don't mean the one to Miyajima do you?

3.5 hours is pretty tight, but if you don't dawdle, it's doable.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

I think using a taxi is best. You can waste a lot of time waiting for the streetcar with that much compression in your schedule.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

I never take taxis, but I would suggest a taxi in this case. You really need a half-day to fully experience the museum and the park, so you may be a little bit rushed, but it is still worth the experience.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

Never take taxis? Wow. I don't like paying for them but there are times when I'm either extremely tired or in a huge rush to get somewhere and I use them. Earlier this year, right after the earthquake, I was stranded all night in Saitama in the lobby of a business hotel on a chilling windy night when everything was shutdown and the roads were jammed. I finally was able to use a taxi to get back to my apartment at 6:00AM and gladly paid the Y16000 or whatever it was because I didn't feel like walking 40km through a cold headwind.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

Route 246 - Wouldn't it be cheaper to stay in that hotel?

Anyway, the museum can be done in an hour, and the park in no more.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

Hello Jill

I hope the following is of some help. While signage in Hiroshima is excellent as time for you is in short supply I would most certainly get a taxi to and from the Peace Park.

As to the Atom Bomb museum I have to say that visiting this was one of the most profound experiences that I have ever had, with many visitors clearly finding the whole place very emotional and openly weeping. (I have to disagree with previous statement that it only take one hour, I think most visitors would take about 2 and an half hours).

This is their web site and if you select the “Guide to peace memorial park” button on the left hand menu you will get a map of the whole park. While it is all very interesting if there was only one other place apart from the Museum that I had time to visit it would be point 43 on the map as this is where the actual bomb was. If you click on the 43 you will see the small memorial that is there.

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/top_e.html

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

I would definitely take a taxi, you have little time as it is so it's better not to waste any trying to figure out the tram.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

Certainly take a taxi. Go straight to the museum - its where you will find nearly all the information and a large part of the exhibits. Plan on at least two hours for the museum and then spend an hour in the grounds. There are a lot of memorials. Most interesting is the remains of the atomic doME. see this at the end as its by the main road. Its sealed off so you can only see it from the outside. You should also check out the peace bell and the childrens memorial.

Its an amazing place to visit - very poignant.

have a good day

angie

www.angietravels.com

Hiroshima
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

Don't miss Hiroshima style okonomiyaki!

10. Re: Hiroshima in 3 1/2 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 10, 2012